Thread: Got a 350 now, what about a 427?

Default Got a 350 now, what about a 427?

I know some of you have this motor in your rig. My question is this:

Right now I have a GM 350 mated to an SM465. The motor has an HEI distributor, and a 600 cfm carb.
    What would I be able to use or not use? Would my tranny mate up? Would I need another flywheel? Can I use my distributor?

I hear that my motor mounts will swap, is this true?

I'm just exploring options.
    -B.

Brian, The 427 will drop right in where the 350 is. You can use the same flywheel and starter. The dist will work on a regular height block and some tall deck intake manifolds. The 600 is kind of small for the 427. You may "get by" with it on very mild motor, But I would plan on using something a little bigger. None of the accesory brackets will work, and the stock driveline will only hold up if you BABY it. !!! M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

Thanks Barry! I appreciate that. It was all I was looking for and a little more.
    -B.

Overdrive would be nice for the larger motor to keep revs down some.
    Big Blocks RULE!

44's will do the same thing, and remember: you just have to bolt those on LOL..

no, really, OD is great. 700r4. Welcome to the Yorwath/Lawlor/White Upward Spiraling Solution Forum.
    Upgrade one thing and you will need to upgrade everything eventually, or stop and rest somewhere comfy. The 725 here started as a blown master cylinder, now it's basically being rebuilt. Same w/the big Cherokee... and the little one too-- that just needed new rear springs, now I chopped off the stock control arm brackets to make room for the long travel deals, and need to replace the driveline from the tranny back. See?

Be careful! hahahahhahahahah
    **I heart Bump_r **

Hey Tacoma that is pretty funny !! In my ongoing quest of upward spiraling solutions I just turned it up another notch, more torque. I just assembled the bottom end of what shoud be a real driveline killer. M1028

you mean more so than the 454's??? THAT ought to be interesting! Will attend, camera in hand!
    **I heart Bump_r **

Barry, I just had a guy buy the gas motor from my old deuce truck and he may buy the rest of the remaining truck. If not, I may have a ridiculous sprint car frame, Rockwell, mud buggy to play with the retard with in the fall, or the guy will buy the truck and $pay$ for the rears. I'll know soon...
    Big Blocks RULE!

Spicer ,That sounds like alot of fun. I know where there is real nice mud pit to try it out !! The fresh motor is going together nicely. The new pistons are in , along with the usual rings and bearings. I found a set of heads that I want to try so they are going to be freshened up this week. M1028

Default Editing post question

I'm a big fan of 2.25" and 1.88" valves with undercut stems for high flow on those big babies!! BIG FAN!!

Do you know what kind of lift you can clear with the pistons you're using?
    Big Blocks RULE!