Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Work - Hood

Default Body Work - Hood

Looks like the windshield was down while someone opened the hood. Sheet metal is wrinkled. It drives me nuts! The rest of the truck is perfectly straight. Could this be pounded out with a hammer or is it easier-cheaper to swap out the hood? Not sure where to even find a hood? How do I search for an old school body/fender man in Memphis?

I hate body filler! There is no bondo on my truck and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks,

Justin

I know the feeling all 5 of my trucks have some wrinkled areas on the hoods.
    Large, flat piece of sheetmetal seems to be unavoidable. I did recently hammer out and reinforce one of them that is currently undergoing a resto/mod. So far it looks good in primer.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

I think it is more a matter of people sitting or standing on the hoods. At least all the bent ones I have seen show evidence that they were stood on.

Now, M35's get a real neat asymetrical pattern bend in them when they open at about 50 mph and slam against the windshield. Look at pictures of my Gasser and you will see them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Hoods

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I know the feeling all 5 of my trucks have some wrinkled areas on the hoods.
    Large, flat piece of sheetmetal seems to be unavoidable. I did recently hammer out and reinforce one of them that is currently undergoing a resto/mod. So far it looks good in primer.
    Once the metal is stretched, it's difficult to get the indents out. However there is lots of info out there about heating the center of the impression and then using different hammers to shrink the metal. I tried it and most came out but not all. Mine looked like people sat on the hood.

There are NOS hoods at AB Linn. Each one there has a small dent at the very front but an easy fix. Mine took about an hour to hammer out and then fill. Vintage Power Wagons also has hoods, same dent. Seems that when they were stored and shipped, the racks they were in caused the dents.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just run down to the local salvage yard and pick up a Waggy hood. Pretty much never see them damaged unless the truck was crashed.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I have a spare hood if your near Louisville, KY anytime. Would trade for a heater or what ever you might have and I might need.

Junkyard item - I picked one up for $40 and its straight as an arrow. Any old Wagoneer will work up until 1991 I believe.

Mine had tree limbs dropped on it by the local metropark service, when they owned it. I picked up a straight, rustfree hood from a Jeep truck in Colorado for 20 bucks. I had to weld up a few moulding holes though.
    I have kept my rustfree, dented hood though. "Justincase".....
    If you want your original hood straightened, check with some local streetrod guys. They know where to find real bodymen.
    Hope this helps,
    Darryl
    4-67 M715 w/winch

If you decide to try and get the dents out of your hood and want some company, I'm in Memphis and will try to straighten mine out at the same time... the right side of mine looks like someone stood on it.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog: if you can't eat it or hump it, just pee on it and walk away.

I can always use the company! My neighbor has a ton of dollys he never uses. I can pratice and then go look for a Wagon replacment if it looks worse. People in the area will love the pounding noise!

Streching the metal is a concern. Does heating and throwing a pan of water on the metal shrink it?