Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.3 powerstroke in an m-715 let's discuss!!

Default 7.3 powerstroke in an m-715 let's discuss!!

I have acquired another m-715 that I want to add a diesel to. Now i already know that the most common conversion is the 6bt or 4bt. I have a friend that has a new reman 7.3 with the aod transmission and all the harness that I can get CHEAP! Has anyone tried this or done the measurements to see if it will even fit? He is calling me back with the dimensions of the combo and I am going to measure what I have. Anything else I need to know? The 7.3 is a non intercooled turbo engine and I have already had a ford with one in it so I know they are reliable, just don't know if it will fit. thoughts? Observations? Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

I found a post from a while back where someone was thinking about it, but no hard evidence. So I have used the search function, before I get blasted.
    Snakeater

Jester Guest

No experience with them but just thinkin with the V8 configuration it should be a much easier fit. There is alot of room width wise in the engine bay.

Still have the weight issue.

Someone, cant remember who now offhand...tried it and couldnt fit the radiator and intercooler and such in without carving the front of the truck practically off.

I think Barrman and someone else are looking into it again to see if there is a way...

The engine fits in...the accessories dont want to without outrageous amounts of surgery...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

this is a non intercooled 7.3 so that's part of the problem gone. However I was wondering about the leftover room in front of the engine. I have the dims. on the engine now and it looks as though it will fit just fine between the frame rails. The problem I see is going to be getting a radiator in it that is large enough to cool it. This engine is complete with all the accessories, so it will go in fully dressed. I wonder about the height as well, if the hood will close over it. Snakeater

I remember we had pics somewhere of the engine in the bay and then how much would need to be cut to get the radiator in...something like just inside the left headlight to just inside the right one...and waaay forward too...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You'll either have to use a 2WD transmission and the stock transfer case, or the Ford axles with the stock Ford married transmission/transfer because the Ford stuff is drivers side drop.

Other than that, I doubt there would be much other issues getting it in there physically, as the 7.3 isn't much different in size than a 460, which several folks have put into M715's. As Jon mentioned though, radiator, accessories, exhaust and other things like that might be more of an issue.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I've wanted to do this swap forever but can never find a donor motor when I have money lol
    With that turbo you will have some heat issues. Looking around diesel forums I see that one recommendation is to use quality aftermarket radiators like something for a hopped-up street/strip car. They aren't as wide but re much deeper - where you will have the room. You could run a custom 4" down pipe directly out of the engine compartment over the frame by the wheel well and just continue the exhaust right there until you dump.
    Personally I would want an inter-cooler and you should have plenty of room to run a smaller than stock one in front of the radiator - gives you an excuse to put in a rhino grill. I got one from Al years ago and painted it flat black - looks good on the truck!
    If you do this take lots of pics - so I can shamelessly copy you whenever I get around to it

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before starting this conversion. I don't want to jump into this and get waist deep before realizing I can't get out. So far everything seems doable. The truck I am getting the engine from is a 4wd and has the transfer case still on it. I know nothing about these strength wise. If I am going to do this I want it to be bullet proof, no loose ends. Everything to do with the electronics of this swap scare me, but other than that is seems like a go so far. Snakeater

What year is the engine? If its a 95 or earlier the engine wiring is going to be pretty easy as it doesn't really have any computers. 96 or newer have a computer to run the engine but the wiring still isn't real hard if you have a good wiring diagram. The nice thing about fords is that the engine harness stays connected to the sensors and you only have 2-3 main plugs that connect it to the vehicle harness.