Thread: antenna mount

Default antenna mount

just finished the antenna mount for my CB radio. I may make a black plastic cone to cover the area under the spring, since it looks too narrow there. I made this out of a piece of 6X6 1/8th wall square tubing and cut one side off. I bent the two sides tward each other, then welded the 3 inch tubing to it. I cut a piece of 1/8th inch flat stock on the lathe and welded that to the tubing. I wanted to make something like the original, but this was much easier and still in my opinion looks simple and something that the military would have used. Does anyone know how the original cable was run? If I remember right, it was run inside the box then down. I think that the cable would get smashed inside the box with cargo.

Can someone move this? sorry

that mount is

That looks good. Though I might have made only stick out 4 inches instead of six, but hey it looks good. You know an AB-15 and the right antenna sections will make a mighty fine CB antenna and will be 100% military.....just thowing out an option for others and not trying to take away from yours....though paint the spring black and the antenna OD...then people will think it's actuall military....
    Zone holster maker

Joe, what does the ab-15 look like and specifically which antenna sections.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here is a link I found a while back about using an MX6707 and AS1729 set up for CB use:

http://flashoffroad.com/radio/Milantenna/milAntenna.htm

Here's an AB-15:

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I looked at buying a military antenna and doing the work to convert it, but I couldn't find one at a good price. I paid 20.00 for the stainless 102" whip antenna from radio shack and I paid 14.00 for the stainless spring, 18.00 for the pre-made cable. I have read somewhere that you can't paint the antenna or the spring. Since paint has titanium oxide in it, maybe it conducts? Not sure why. I have a white fiberglass 102" on my TJ and since I don't care for white, I wraped the whole thing in black tape. its been on there for nine years now and still looks good.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yep, a 6707 base gets pretty expensive if you buy it all at once. I find parts at swap meets and set them aside until I get enough to build one.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The AB-15 uses the MS-116-117-118 or AB-21-22-23-24 or any combination to get the length you want 100-104 inches will basically work with a cb with 102 being the best fit.

Fair Radio sells the AB-15 for $21.00 and the antenna sections (which are like copper tubing) MS-116-117-118 MAST SECTIONS - each 39.3"L. MS-116 is stackable bottom section, MS-117 is middle and MS-118 is tapered top: are $5.25 each. The AB-21-24 are 27" in length and are $6.50 each.

Again yours is a great set up will work very well. Don't worry about painting the ant. It will work fine.
    Zone holster maker