715 Alternator Rebuild Project Series
Post by adk4x4 on Oct 4, 2006, 10:00am

I have begun the quest to reveal the "secrets" to the M-715 alternator and the "how to" for repair and rebuilding. In a series of posts I will try to give definitive insight into this magic box while going through the step by step process of rebuilding my own alt.

The backstory.

After a year long resto to a 67' 715 which came out pretty good, the alt stopped puttin' out. I took my 715 alt to a local shop which was proported to have mil-spec experience. After $200 and a revealing visit which uncovered the fact that this guy was a drunk and told me he replaced the internal batteries (is that like water cooled muffler bearings?) it worked for about a week. Having moved away from that area in the same month I didn't get a chance to through the alt through his front window.

The present.

Still wanting to "use" the truck it was periodically charged and run. During which time the main output wire was diconnected which probably led to the stator to be fried. I took the alt apart and tested it per the TM instructions. This is how it looks now, minus the volt reg.

Each step in this process will include pics and diagrams so stay tuned for more to come soon.