wheel cylinders
Post by compexp on Oct 1, 2006, 7:14pm

Ok, very long frustrating day! Took left front wheel off, had to drill one of the brake drum retaining screws out. Ok, no biggie. Got the wheel cylinder pulled, went and borrowed a honer, tried to get new cylinder rubber cups, all 3 local parts stores by my house were out, but a store halfway across town had them.

Drove down to get them, $.15 each, probably spent more in gas than the cups.

Got home, blew air through the driver's brake line, honed and painted the wheel cylinder, set it aside so I could pull the pass side and get it ready too.

IT TOOK ME 6 compressor fills and probably 1/2 can of WD-40 trying to get the lug nuts off! grrrr - my impact puts out 265 lbs of torque. The last one took forever!

Anyway, long and short, finally got the pass cylinder off, took awhile to get the cups out to hone it, clean up the cylinder and it's cracked. Not sure if it was cracked or I did it getting the guts out. So....

[]I need the part number for the wheel cylinders that you guys have used from the Ford vans. Exact part numbers would be great, as it's been a very long and frustrating day.

7 hours - two wheels pulled, one cylinder rebuilt - one broken. Not very productive.

Thanks for the help in advance.