Re: HYDRO STEERING QUESTIONS
Post by bluesman2a on Aug 27, 2006, 1:06am

A couple of notes, Chris already covered a few:

1) You want the big piston box (steering gear, not the saginaw pump). AGR are clowns, PSC or West Texas Offroad are much better sources for info. Both of them use the big piston gears.

2) I think the J-Trucks (larger ones) had the more desirable gears.

3) Standard tools are 1/4 NPT tap, appropriate drill-bit, then you can put in an NPT to AN (also JIC-37) and run all your lines in straight hydro (spares are easier too).

4) If you want one that's already done, PSC sells a very nice box pre-tapped. That's the direction I went. If you're not sure of your re-assembly skills, West Texas Offroad will tap a box you send them.

5) Pump -- you want high-volume.

6) Cylinder -- If you're going to use it on the road, then do not get anything larger than 1.75" they are too slow for street use. If you want brute force, get a 2" agro ram. Northern Tool carries a good line of agro rams which are nice cause they are rebuildable. In in a streetable ram, I would check out either PSC's or Mad 4WD's. There is also a guy on the Pirate 4X4 board who goes by "Station" who is supposed to have some very nice stuff.