Thread: maddawg308 : M715 coolant and brake fluid

Default maddawg308 : M715 coolant and brake fluid

M715 coolant and brake fluid
    Post by maddawg308 on Aug 15, 2006, 10:14am

Okay, I know there are various newer military vehicles that use the purple new coolant and do not use the older green stuff. There are also milvehs that use the silicone brake fluid, and not the standard. What are the specs for the correct coolant and brake fluid to be used with our M715s?

Default oilcan :

Re: M715 coolant and brake fluid
    Post by oilcan on Aug 15, 2006, 10:25am

You'll find all that stuff here.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=manuals
    Last edited by brute4c; December 21st, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 15, 2006, 10:30am

Dot 3 brake fluid and the regular type Ethylene Glycol, green, antifreeze....more here:

Table 2-10 of the-20 maintenance manual, Chapter 2, Section 13 gives the mix rates for different temperature zones

This is what is listed for the brake fluid:

B-34. Brake Master Cylinder
    Clean the top of the fill cap and also the housing area around it. Remove the cap and observe the fluid level. It should be half an inch below the top of the fill-hole. If required, add brake fluid to one-half-inch below the top of the fill-hole, using only heavy-duty brake fluid conforming to specif ication VV-B-680. Be sure sure to handle the brake fluid in clean dispensers and containers that will not introduce even the slightest amount of other liquids or foreign particles. Replace and tighten the fill cap.
    AND:

Use Hydraulic Brake Fluid (HB), non petroleum base only. Use of hydraulic fluid petroleum base renders brakes inoperative.

Dot 3 and Dot 4 brake fluid fit this spec....Dot 3 being common...remember that brake fluid absorbs water...thus it is not petrol based...there was an issue about that some time back on the old board, so just clarifying up front here...
    Last edited by brute4c; December 21st, 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Default gregolma715 :

Post by gregolma715 on Aug 16, 2006, 11:20pm

Silicone would work, no?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 17, 2006, 8:50am

Well..before putting silicone in a system that has had dot 3 or 4:
    Some say one must relace all the rubber in the system or it will swell and cause problems...imagine the rubber lines swelling shut....so new master, wheel cylinders, rubber lines...etc.

Others say that one needs to flush the entire system with denatured alcohol very thoroughly before making the switch.

It can, and has, been done. The only drawback with silicone, off the top of my head, is that, because it doesnt absorb water, when water gets in the system, due to heating and cooling cycles drawing in atmoshpheric humidity and possible fording, it pools in the low points of the system and corrodes lines and things from the inside out...and its hard to get out of such places without doing full system flushes...with really expensive fluid, by comparison to Dot 3 anyway.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Aug 17, 2006, 10:00pm

I've read up on this and according to what I've read you can replace silicone into a DOT3 system with no problems. Don't need to flush it as it will mix. That being said. When the Army switch in the early 80's to silicone the work order stated that the system had to be bled dry, flushed with alchol and then filled with silicone. So...I don't know if that was 1980's thinking compaired to 2005ish thinking or being over careful or what. I know that when I've switch an MV from DOT3 to DOT5 I've flushed it with alchol to be safe. Nothing exstensive just opened the bleaders and gravited drained the DOT3 plus a few pumps of the peddle. Filled up with rubbing alchol and then drained it out and then refilled with DOT5 and bled as normal.