Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: robertcowan : BEADLOCK QUESTIONS

Default robertcowan : BEADLOCK QUESTIONS

BEADLOCK QUESTIONS
    Post by robertcowan on Aug 5, 2006, 11:04pm

COULD SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW BEADLOCK WHEELS WORK ? PIX WOULD BE GREAT. if you have beadlocks wouldnt you need them on the inside and outside of the rims. do you have to drill holes in the rims ? i want to build these wheels and i dont have any i can see what there like. i see em mounted in pictures but that doesnt explain how they hold the beads of the tire. i know it clamps it to the rim but how. HELP THE RIM GUY OUT AND WE,LL HAVE SOME M715 BEADLOCKS.
    BOB

Default luckypabst :

Re: BEADLOCK QUESTIONS
    Post by luckypabst on Aug 5, 2006, 11:18pm

do we get a discount if we help?

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Aug 5, 2006, 11:36pm

Bob, you wanting to do double or singles?

Singles are awesome, but they don't 100% gaurantee you won't pop the inner bead off.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 6, 2006, 3:43am

this is basically how they work: tire goes over the inner bead, which generally holds.
    The beadlock sandwiches the outer lip of the tire against the outer edge of wheel so IT can't slip off.

Competition buggies and hardcore wheelers are generally not having problems losing the inner bead, Double beadlocks (using two bolt-on rings) are nice but a PITA. Now, if you can make Hummer style doubles, sweet, by all means. But then you need to make the spacers for them too..... and charge a bunch. Stazworks charges like $250 and up for Hummer-style doubles. $350 and up for Rockwell size stuff .

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 6, 2006, 1:51pm

I got it all worked out and looks like beadlocks are in the near future for sure. getting them water jet cut out isnt a problem. gonna make em 3/8" thick with a cone ring . looks to me if you use double locks they.ll hit the large m715 brake drum so thats an issue i,ll have th engineer out. nothin fancy commin just function is the goal. also i,am gonna contract the wheel factory to robotic submerge arc weld them in for hi-quality and warp free welding. i got 2 sets of 5 wheels 16.5 x 12" wide to do now. sure gonna make the wheels heavy and i bet they will be balence issues for hi-speed highway use. i see this comming !!!!!! this is why i,am not going to make them fancy designs to keep them light as possible. in my opinion welding these in by hand is not praticle as you need to go all the way around the wheel once welding has started, weld angle, heat & speed must be kept consistant...

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 6, 2006, 3:14pm

[quot; sure gonna make the wheels heavy and i bet they will be balence issues for hi-speed highway use. These would not be D.O.T. legal anyway, so this should not be a big issue.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 6, 2006, 5:21pm

good point bob. anybody know the cheapest place to buy iroc 21/49-16.5 tires ?

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 6, 2006, 7:07pm

Maybe National tire and wheel for you. http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdet...=1832&CATID=10 I will match their prices if you want to come get them, maybe save some freight.

Default mgmorrison :

Post by mgmorrison on Aug 6, 2006, 7:10pm

As far as I know, the only DOT beadlocks are unaltered Hummer wheels. Once you alter a wheel the DOT certification goes away...

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 6, 2006, 10:07pm

i found them for 499.00 per tire plus shipping so far. they make them a few towns over from me and the employees get to buy 1 set each a year at a good discount . one of my best semi truck customers has a son in law working there and he said he would see what he can do. boy there hi dolla huh ? but sure look killer though. i know boggers are alot of out of round i wonder if the IROC,S are the same way? anybody useing them ? i was going to run tires like spicer gear does but changed my mind i think ??? we,ll see.
    bob