Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: craven : engine conversions

Default craven : engine conversions

engine conversions
    Post by craven on Jul 29, 2006, 9:22am

I have not had time to search all the boards for this content yet. I would like to know what is more cost effective, 230 new or rebuilt or going with a conversion. This truck would be used for daily driving, some towing, and 4wheeling.

Default xjchief :

Re: engine conversions
    Post by xjchief on Jul 29, 2006, 12:40pm

Not the 230. It's a PITA to get anything for. Long term you'll be way better off in anything else.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jul 29, 2006, 2:59pm

The most common and cheapest motor is the gm 350. I willnot use mine for a daily driver so I went with a 366. It was cheap and now I can put in any chevy once it blows up.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 29, 2006, 5:22pm

the gm 350 small block seems to be the most common swap. Of course there is the need for an addaptor, but there is lots of info out there on that. Then again any SBC engine will work.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jul 29, 2006, 9:37pm

i used a chebby 350 with an adapter, but upon reflection, i probably would have pulled an entire motor/tranny combo from a donor truck (2wd) and gotten my mid-shaft re-done to the correct length to match.

Alternatively, pull a motor/tranny/xfer combo from a passenger-drop donor and re-do the mounts. will save $$$ and time.

Preferably, pick a donor with an overdrive tranny to help offset the 5.88 gears.

Default hewl35 :

Post by hewl35 on Jul 29, 2006, 10:28pm

How about one with a complete drive train swap or rolling chassis. I have one with a complete frame swap from a 1984 3/4 ton K20 6.2 turbo diesel, 700r4 transmission with a 208 transfer case. The front axle is currently a heavy duty Dana 44 with disc brakes but will be replaced with a Dana 60 in the next week or so if the temps drop below 100. The axle ratio is 4.11. The rear axle is 14 bolt full floater. It also has a hydro-boost system for power brakes and power steering. It's a good way to go if you just want to drive and not have worry too much about parts availability.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 29, 2006, 10:30pm

The cheapest way to go is to grab a complete GM drivetrain (or whatever you prefer, I like GM because of the massive interchange and the easy TBI), and swap it in. Around here, you can get good running engines for the price of the adapter, and for about $100 more you can get a tranny that fits with no issues.
    There will be minor crossmember and driveshaft issues, but if you want to run your truck as a DD, there is no other way that makes any kind of sense.

The 230, before everyone says how good it is, was DUMPED in civilian vehicles years before the 715 was offered to the military. I am not sure why they did that to the government... but it wasn't good enough for civilians.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 30, 2006, 10:55am

Taco,
    Why did GM put the 6.2 deisel on the gubment. It was there and fit the specs requested from the gubment. When the Army specked out a replacement truck for the M37 they put out specifications that were similar to the M37. In other words they wanted a replacement that was what they had more or less. So the Gladiator with the 230 fit their needs. It was in their inventory and didn't require a new motor or a retooling.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 30, 2006, 11:56am

Quote:

The 230, before everyone says how good it is, was DUMPED in civilian vehicles years before the 715 was offered to the military. I am not sure why they did that to the government... but it wasn't good enough for civilians.

Tac, My step dad actually had a J-10 with a 230 back in the day. He recalls it being a good engine...problem is that everyone here has experiences with 35 year old 230s..they're gonna have some issues. I liken it to a 305 chevy. Engine runs good, does it's job...just everyone wants more ummph....hey, and look at the awesome chevy 327...with it's 6 year production run.

Craven, swap! It's true that the 230 is a pain to get parts for, you'll find most parts stores have to order the parts (if they even can)..other oddities you have to get from ebay or surplus suppliers. Not cool if you're 200 miles from home on your way to an FE.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 30, 2006, 1:05pm

Joe: Chevy was still using the 6.2 in civilian production. The 230 had been scrapped in Jeeps.

Doug: your step dad did NOT have a J10 w/a 230.

He may have had a J2000 though. hehehehe

I am a huge fan of middle-of-nowhere repairability. And if you have a 230 that runs, and it's not giving you trouble, enjoy it.... while you save up for something else LOL