Thread: robertcowan : differential housing spreader

Default robertcowan : differential housing spreader

differential housing spreader
    Post by robertcowan on Jun 17, 2006, 9:35am

i,am gonna build a front and rear differential housing spreader to change ring and pinion gears if anybody wants one too let me know. cost is 125.00 which is far below what they cost and mine are alot more heavy duty.
    bob

Default fsjguy :

Re: differential housing spreader
    Post by fsjguy on Jun 18, 2006, 11:58pm

Pardon my ignorance. Why is this tool helpful? Would I need it if I never plan to replace my gears? Would it help to have if I have a shop replace my gears? TIA

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 19, 2006, 11:47am

IF YOU EVER TRY TO GET THE CARRIERS IN AND OUT OF THE HOUSING. you,ll see why its used. you can use 2 large crow bars to get them out but when it comes out look out dont be in back of it ! and if your setting up new gears you,ll have to take it in and out several times setting it up.
    bob

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jun 19, 2006, 6:40pm

When setting up gears in a dana rear, or front, I usally remove about 10thousands of shim out of each side, so the carrier goes in and out without beating the crap out of it, until I get the "setup", then add it back in the end. I have never had to use a spreader.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 19, 2006, 10:37pm

you cant get an accurate pattern that way in my opinion. just my thoughts. i follow the dana manuel myself.
    bob

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 20, 2006, 12:14am

I've only had my stock 60 and 70 apart once each to install lockers, but no spreader and no issue with them dropping out easily. Spin the pinion(edited as I had my head elswhere earlier) on the rear axle and it will nearly fall into your hands, the front had to be persueded with a bar, but very little effort on the bar.
    I think most will suffer through without the tool as typically one job for the persons period of ownership on the truck just isn't enough to justilfy buying a spreader, but thanks very much for making it, and making it available to those who may want one. Hats off for the effort!

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jun 20, 2006, 7:29am

Quote:
    you cant get an accurate pattern that way in my opinion. just my thoughts. i follow the dana manuel myself.
    bob
    Hmmmnnnnn...... 1500 setups later, 0 returns, and I cant get an accurate pattern without a spreader? Not to sure bout that. Just trying to tell everyone another way to do it.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 20, 2006, 9:56am

I have pulled the stock 70 and 60 apart without the spreader too. I also know that NAPA wants $340.00 for the spreader. If you are one of those people that has to follow the rules or just feel better using the right tool all the time, then $120.00 is a good deal for a spreader. It will work on all the Dana axle family too.

Default maccj715 :

Post by maccj715 on Aug 1, 2006, 12:35am

when i restored my cj5 the first use of the new winch was a carrier puller not recomended but it did work well i wrapped a small nylon strap around the carrier then pulled the winch cable down over the front bumper i bumped the winch until i had pretty good tension then tapped the carrier with a hammer it popped out nicely with a blanket on the floor to catch it !!!!!!!!

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 1, 2006, 2:14am

Good used rears won't usually need a spreader....

but if you're in the market, that is a GREAT price.