Thread: luckypabst : Poly body bushings

Default luckypabst : Poly body bushings

Poly body bushings
    Post by luckypabst on Jul 15, 2006, 2:38pm

Here's what I've found concerning the poly body bushings, after doing two trucks, two different ways:

The first way used a bulk polyurethane tube, durometer 60A, similar to the hardness of a tire tread and maybe just a hair softer than a NOS rubber set. I cut the tube down to the NOS thickness and opened up the ID to match. This method worked well but was expensive and the poly bushings don't squish down much - next time it might be best to make them 1/8" thinner than stock.

Method 2 used this kit: http://tinyurl.com/kdoxx. The poly is very hard, I'm guessing closer to 80A and they are 1/8" thinner than the NOS set. I did have to open up the holes to match the stock bushings. This kit comes with 14 bushings, so there's enough left over for half a bed set, which will require enlarging the center hole as well.

The kit cost about the same as 6" of the bulk tube, required less work and included much more material. The 6" tube only yields about 7 bushings in comparison.

Both methods made major improvements in overall ride quality and it's a fair bet that any truck that's not had the bushings replaced recently probably need it done now.

One note - I have yet to replace the rubber strips under the core support. As stock, they're two strips of 1/4" rubber per side.

Chris

Default brute4c :

Re: Poly body bushings
    Post by brute4c on Jul 16, 2006, 7:53am

Great info Chris, THANKS!!!

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 16, 2006, 7:03pm

Tearing into that Cherokee today, I noticed that Jeep re-engineered the core support bushing. The piece between frame and core support looked to be the standard 3/4" thick body bushing and the spring was replaced with a giant tall rubber busing, maybe 2" tall.

Chris

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 16, 2006, 11:24pm

Yup, they did away with the spring.

Chris, from my former life as a (sponsored!-- shop though, no biggie LOL ) skateboarder, I can tell you that 80a is pretty hard.. for bushings anyway. I'm thinking something like 75-80 is perfect, they'll give before the sheetmetal does. Keep an eye out for stress cracks around those mounts, 80 might be just a touch hard.

sooooooo how much for a set?

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 17, 2006, 12:07am

Slacker. I'll buy the kit from Summit, open up the holes and ship it to you for $55 + shipping.
    A little bit more if you want a full set of 22 bushings.

Chris

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 17, 2006, 12:08am

Oh yea, I was just guessing at that 80A durometer, based on the comparison chart in the Mcmaster-Carr book.

Default blueridgekaiser :

Post by blueridgekaiser on Jul 28, 2006, 10:45am

i'm interested in a full set of those. of course i want them ready to install. let me know if you want to send me a set and i will send info. thanks