M101A1 wheels on my M715?
Post by grantshire on Jul 19, 2006, 6:43am

A friend gave me a 1967 M101A1 in pretty nice condition. The tires on it are mint - the spare has never been on the ground! The rims look to be the same as my M715 and the two tires on the axle are new (and not the non directional military tire like the spare and the old ones on my M715).

I decided to swap the tires last Sunday and got the wheels off the M715. I ran into problems taking the wheels off the trailer. My M715 lug nuts are 1" but it looked like the trailer's are 1.5" and i did not have anything that big. Since then i have borrowed a 1.5" 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar - no good, 1/2" drive not enough beef. Yesterday I borrowed a 3/4" drive breaker and 1 1/2" socket and gave it another try last night. No good again! The socket is a 12 point and appears to slip when I put a lot of pressure on it (pipe extension on the breaker bar).

Are these really 1 1/2" nuts? Any suggestions on how to break them free?

I plan to sell or trade the trailer off for M715 parts but I would like to swap out the tires first.

BTW, these trailers are pretty cool: hand brakes on each wheel; spin on spare tire on the tongue; canopy frame with heavy rubber cover (needs patching) and military tail lights. This ones in pretty good shape too.

Richard