Thread: oilcan : Flood recovery

Default oilcan : Flood recovery

Flood recovery
    Post by oilcan on Jul 19, 2006, 11:18am

I've been doing some horse-tradin' in the last few days, and one of the things I came out with is a Chevy SM465 that has been through a flood. The top cover is off, and there is a very small amount of surface rust on a few of the gear teeth. There's some mud laying in the bottom, too.
    This is just a little extra bonus thrown in to help even up the trade, and I don't have an immediate use for it, but I don't want the thing to waste away. Is this something I can just flush out really well and fill with 90-weight, then change the oil pretty frequently, or will I have to disassemble, clean, and replace the seals?

Default compexp :

Re: Flood recovery
    Post by compexp on Jul 19, 2006, 11:44am

I would think you could flush with paint thinner and then lube well - maybe fill and turn for awhile, then drain and re-fill.

Default davea :

Post by davea on Jul 19, 2006, 2:26pm

Probably has the bearings full of grit and silt. If I were going to try to rescue it, I would fill it up with diesel, set it upright as it would be installed in truck and let it set for a long while. Then drain and probably repeat.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 19, 2006, 11:12pm

I'd get a seal kit and redo it. Really sucks to have those bearings go, and I won't tell you what it cost me to get home when I learned the hard way LOL

A lot more than a rebuild kit. I have manuals if you need them.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Jul 20, 2006, 8:17am

same as swampy, but maybe roll it around every few days, to let the diesel slowly remove all the grit to the bottom...

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 20, 2006, 8:48am

If you want it to last I'd do a complete tear down/clean and then reassemble. Turn that puppy over once now and you're probably imbedding sand intot he bearing surfaces.

If it's for a trail only rig, flush it with a fire hose, then diesel, then run it till it pukes.