Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dummy : Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN

Default dummy : Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN

Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN
    Post by dummy on Jul 15, 2006, 7:17pm

Allright, in the last 2 weeks I got the 38-inch Swampers mounted, brakes rebuilt with Ford cylinders, Trasborg's t-case installed (found it needed new output shaft seals after it was in - d'oh), incredibly worn and tired Chevy 350 sorted and installed, wiring straightened out and functional, driveshafts rebuilt, fuel system, and so on, and so on. It's been about 5 mail order dings to the credit card and probably 20 trips to the local Napa for almost $2,000, but I'm almost there.

Took it for its first "drive" down my 150ft driveway Friday night and the radiator started spewing. Brought the radiator to a local shop as soon as they opened this morning, but the guy apparently closed the shop due to the 100+ heat here. I showed up 30 min. before closing time and the place was walled up with my radiator inside. This is despite the fact I told him I needed it today (even offered him an extra $100 to get it done quick) and left all of my numbers if there was a problem. Good thing my son was with me or I would've made up a few choice curse words.

Is there a PN for an older Wagoneer or J-truck 3-core radiator that'll work in case this yahoo flakes with my radiator? My auto parts stores look at me like I'm inside out when I ask them. I've got to have the truck to the DMV first thing Monday morning so I can be on the road for Colorado on Tuesday. I'm pretty positive a 2-core is gonna overheat since there's no shroud, the fan is somewhat far away from the radiator due to lower hose interference, and the only pulleys I had for the engine were 25% underdrive units.

I've got the old 3-core from my '69 Cutlass, but I'm flat out of time to fab it in.

Providing it all gets worked out you can read all about it in the Oct. issue of Jp.

Default bluesman2a :

Re: Hazel's 715 build diatribe - need radiator PN
    Post by bluesman2a on Jul 15, 2006, 7:40pm

I know this does not solve your immediate problem, but a couple of notes that may lead you in the correct direction:

1) for a decent sized radiator, you will need to change the stock size by cutting/flipping the core supports (common upgrade plenty been written on it). I don't know that there IS a way to do what you want without fabbing...

2) an alternative to that is to use a front face from a V-8 FSJ. I've done that on mine. Other than a few small issues, it's a direct bolt-up and gets you the wide V=8 FSJ radiator size.

3) A standard FSJ radiator will not work, the inlet/outlet is backwards. I bought a conversion radiator here: http://www.extremeradiator.com/store...spx?sku=581-4C

4) You MAY be able to use a stock FSJ radiator from a rig that had a Buick or Chrysler engine in it, but I can't swear to that. If you need an answer, I would search/ask this question on the IFSJ board.

Best of luck with your trip... I've noticed this last minute rush/marathon seems to be a hallmark of the JP-trip experience... They should give you guys more time to get your doo-doo in a pile!!!

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 15, 2006, 11:09pm

Christian, we're cursed with an odd opening. Sorry.

You may be able to rig something up with the cutlass radiator though. Find something to lay across the two verticle radiator supports (existing in truck)...possible a couple layers of doublesided foam tape like they use for pickup toppers. See if you can then mount your cutlass radiator against them and still have fan clearence.

I once almost did this when time was on short order, but went another route that didn't seem so stupid...LOL

Good luck and quit picking on TJ owners

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jul 15, 2006, 11:13pm

One other thing, if you're running the stock clutch fan, you might pick up a little room by switching to a flex fan.

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on Jul 16, 2006, 12:39am

christian, i used the same application as john did for his panel. ordered it from the same place, radiators.com or radiator.com.

that doesn't help on a sat night but the application does, ask john. works fine for my 330/350 sbc in 104+ weather with electric fans.

i can't make the trip, too much at the office going on, you can use my radiator if you wish, can bring it to the office monday morning. call or let me know.

jeff

Default dummy :

Post by dummy on Jul 16, 2006, 8:05am

Running fixed blade fan with spacer. I guess I'll hope the radiator shop doesn't flake and if it comes to it I'll throw in the Cutlass radiator Monday night.

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Jul 16, 2006, 9:31am

Right now, my stocker is out and I'm on using a stock 3 core out of a 67-72 chevy pickup. This looks like total crap, but since the stock one is literally falling to pieces, it's amazing that I can keep it cool now. 100 degrees here too and I drove it to work yesterday stop and go traffic and no problem at all. It's too big so it sits behind the side brackets the stocker fits inside of. No shroud, it's held in by two screws at the top and wire ties at the bottom with about 1/2 inch clearance to the fan. If I had some bailing wire, it would've been perfect. LOL. The hood support bar is resting on the filler cap also. This was just to be able to start and move the truck but I am impressed with the cooling from this booty fabbed temp fix. One problem, the tight bend in the lower hose to water pump as the chevy radiator lower outlet actually angles upward slightly.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jul 16, 2006, 9:57am

I used a chevelle 396 radiator that several others suggested. I had to switch to flex hoses, as they wouldn't make the bend otherwise - but runs fine in 100* heat.

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Jul 16, 2006, 12:17pm

Rich, does that rad fit properly or what mods did you have to make? What year chevelle?

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jul 16, 2006, 1:06pm

I think from a '69 chevelle - that info was on the old board, and might be lost.

I had Krob725 get it for me - I had to remove the front mounting flange and it slid in perfectly. It is a little deeper, so I also had to add 1" spacers to the mounting bolts and I used a Black Magic electric fan. Not sure if it would clear a manual one.

Part number was a 433289 - mine came from Transpro in Ft. Worth. Fits a '67 chevelle with a 396. pm me your email and I'll send you a couple pics of how it fits.