Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maccj715 : dana 60 and 70 lockers?

Default maccj715 : dana 60 and 70 lockers?

dana 60 and 70 lockers?
    Post by maccj715 on Jul 11, 2006, 11:08pm

into jeep just finished 73 cj5 had to find new project in comes 69 m715 can any one tell me what lockers will fit the dana 60 and 70? maybe who has them ? are the guts common or m715 only i have a dana 70 posi unit from a ford one ton but would hate to tear the rear end down only to find it wont fit help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default robertcowan :

Re: dana 60 and 70 lockers?
    Post by robertcowan on Jul 11, 2006, 11:33pm

i,ve got power locks and lockers for the m715 if you need them. the rear dana 70 is all special for the m715 but the front is standard dana 60.
    bob 1 423 384 8938 or email me
    bcowanwheels@aol.com

Default maccj715 :

Post by maccj715 on Jul 11, 2006, 11:49pm

thanks ill get back with you soon i'm doing my normal thing when i buy a new 4x checking and changing all the oils and was dismayed to find the front with an open carrier i havent done the rear yet but expect it'll be open also. will get back with you when i check the rear

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 11, 2006, 11:52pm

its open if its stock. grease all you fitting i bet there all dry, change tranny oil & t-case 4 sure too. welcome to the zone. we want all the friends we can get.
    bob

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jul 12, 2006, 8:37am

Dana 70 rear

#1 option. Detroit "no spin"
    The part # for the Detroit Dana 70 no-spin is: DET225S-14

Where can you get one?
    http://www.jawsgear.net/ is lowest price I have found $335.00 plus $35.00 shipping
    Randy's Ring and Pinion wanted $385.00
    Reider Racing wanted $415.95

Randys Ring and Pinion http://www.ringpinion.com/
    Reider Racing http://www.reiderracing.com/home.htm

Installation:
    First off, read the directions provided with your locker.
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=locker_manual
    This is a lunch box style locker, you do not have to remove the ring gear from the carrier. You simply remove the spider gears and replace them with the locker. Spider gear shims, or spacers are also removed and NOT reinstalled. A case spreader is NOT needed to remove the carrier from the case.

Expect to spend no more than 3 hours to complete this project. This includes cleaning, inspecting parts, and installing. In reality, you may be done long before the three hours are up....all depends on how well prepared you are.

Torque Specs:
    35 to 55 on the case halves....

The bearing caps call for 100-120 in the military manuals.
    Civy manuals say 80 to 108.

My bolts stretched when I was at app 110. Not cool. I replaced them with (4) grade 8..... 1/2" by 16TPI 2 3/8 long IIRC.
    I suggest you do the same also. Talked to many others that have had the same results.

I would recommend 90 to 100.......NO MORE!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana 60 Front:

from Reider Racing, 01/03/96 (yes, OLD)

Dana 60 30 SPL LOCK-RIGHT Item #60D/LKR30 and dig this $350.00

Installation Notes:

If anyone wants to *cheat* when installing their front lockers...here's how:

Instead of having to disassemble all that crap at the ends of the axles, ie- drive flange, gobbs of grease to spindle nuts (special deep socket too) hub removal, spindle removal slobbed with more grease...you can try this- what I did way back when.

Slap the front axle on some jackstands.
    Remove front wheels. Drum removal is optional, but it will be a little less weight to manage later if you pop them off at this point.
    Remove the ring of bolts that holds the knuckle felt and seal on the backside of the closed knuckle. These are what seal the knuckle 'ball.' -This is also a good time to replace them if needed. Replacement seal is split so you can slip it around the axle tube, felt you can cut with scissor at top and slip it over no problem.
    Take the upper and lower 4 bolt king pin assy's out. When removing the lower one...try not to drop the timken bearing into the crud you'll now have on the floor below it. Smile
    Get another jackstand and put it near you at this point-
    With the king pins out, get a good grip on the whole knuckle assy, give'er a wiggle and start to pull it out. Once the knuckle seperates, be sure that the axle shaft is pulling out with the knuckle assy. If it isn't just reach in and help it along.
    You'll only need to pull this whole assy out 8"-10," just enough to be sure the axle is pulled clear of the differential.
    Support hub (or drum) on that other jackstand.
    -Do the same to the other side.
    Oh, you'll prolly want to pull the diff cover first...but it really doesn't matter.

Now will all that jazz slid out you'll be able to MARK THE CAPS on the differential carrier, pop them off, drop the diff on your hand or finger then pop off the ring gear to be able to dump the spider gears and slap in your new lunch box locker.

There is really only ONE note that needs particular attention when going back together. The UPPER kingpin has a keyed something-or-other that needs to be put back in proper position. No big deal, just spend a minute to make sure it goes back on right and you're golden.

Spicergear-

Only addition to that info is also from Spicer....when he told it to me a while back.....where he says:

Quote:
    Take the upper and lower 4 bolt king pin assy's out. When removing the lower one...try not to drop the timken bearing into the crud you'll now have on the floor below it.

Also note that there are shims in there. Keep each set with its appropriate side and location for reassembly to make things go easy on yourself.
    Last edited by brute4c; January 29th, 2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: fixed link

Default redneck1 :

Post by redneck1 on Jul 13, 2006, 12:45am

This is from http://www.jawsgear.net/ DET225S-14 32 Spline $393.75
    The price has gone up.But it is still worth it I went everywhere I wanted to at the F.E. and around here.Don't drive it on the road though the Detroit loves to eat tires.
    Crab walks under power,If you do drive it on pavement gas it til you get in a curve the mash the clutch in to relieve pressure on the locker.It helps a little.
    Redneck1

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 13, 2006, 1:42am

or if you've got an automatic, just coast through the turn. Ditto on the eating tires part, regardless of how easy you treat it in turns.

Makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE if you're using your truck for harder stuff offroad. Sucks in snow though, and wet crowned roads...

Default redneck1 :

Post by redneck1 on Jul 13, 2006, 4:14am

Quote:
    Sucks in snow though, and wet crowned roads...

We don't get that stuff down here.
    I saved my spider gears just in case though.
    I would love to have about a 2 feet of snow just to see what I could tear up.
    Redneck1

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Jul 13, 2006, 7:27am

Welcom to the Zone! The lockers are the shizzle, gotem in my cj5, took it out in the snow on the road, VERY SCARY! had to drive with one hub unlocked. My 715 has one in the rear, if I decide to get a locker for the front it will be selectable. I want to have the truck be more of a DD.

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on Jul 13, 2006, 9:03pm

detroit makes a true detroit locker for the rear of the 70, in addition to the no-spin. let me know if you need the p/n.