Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : Military paint differences

Default binfordm715 : Military paint differences

Military paint differences
    Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 11:03am

Okay, I haven't seen a whole lot of M715's original paint, but of the several I have seen, none have been either 24087 or 24052. What up?

In the picture below you see the inside of my door panel showing the stock paint that has been protected from the elements by virtue of being inside the door. The same color is found on the back of my data plate panel and in the under-bed storage compartment and is the same color I've ever seen on a stock M715. It appears closer to the ammo can color, which has been in the weather for God knows how long. But even that color doesn't really match it.

I thought for a while that my truck might have been painted USMC green (24052), but I found stars on the door and tailgate and "ARMY" on the tailgate.

The jerry can holder is original color (picked up at a yard sale, complete with strap) and it matches the hard-hat I painted with Rapco rattlecan 24087. The gauge panel I painted with Rapco rattlecan 24052 and doesn't seem to match any of the others.

So anyone know what color this original paint is? I thought the basic colors of the 1967-69 era were 24087 or 24052. So what's the story, anyone know?

Default porkchop :

Re: Military paint differences
    Post by porkchop on Jun 27, 2006, 11:58am

I am not sure but my truck was originally 24052. The door panels and all the other hidden spots matched the new paint perfectly.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 3:25pm

Wow... I'm looking at this on my wife's computer. Huge difference in picture quality. Bet I can even read Doug's tailgate stencil with this screen!

PC, did you find any original markings when you sanded in preparation for the paint? Like on the hood? When I saw the original color under the door panels (the inside of the doors under the panels are the same too), I thought it might be 24052, in which case it would have been a USMC truck. Very cool, since I'm painting mine USMC green in honor of my late father who was a Marine. His father too. (Guess I dropped the ball, eh?!) But when I started sanding, I found a star on the door (USMC trucks didn't have the stars) and recently I found remnants of the word "ARMY" on the tailgate, along with another star. So it isn't 24052. And from the picture, comparing the gauge panel with the door panel, it's close, but no cigar.

So what's the story with that green on these trucks then? I'm as confused as ever.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 27, 2006, 3:34pm

The Jerry can isn't a good reference, they were used for many many years on several different trucks. Chances are you could find one in every possible color if you looked hard enough.

As far as your door panel, it looks MUCH lighter than the hidden areas on my truck did.

Hard hat, you goof, it's worthless now. OSHA would nail you to a wall on that one. Not only does the paint conceal possible defects, the solvents weaken the plastic...no painting, no stickers, must remain as purchased.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Jun 27, 2006, 3:42pm

Tim,
    maybe PO painted the stars and "ARMY" over USMC green, not actually the army, just a thought

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jun 27, 2006, 3:56pm

Tim, don't worry about it, it will all be the same color after this weekend, that's what really counts isn't it. No one else has to know, except now everyone does. I'm not sure either. Fisherman

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 4:20pm

Hard hat is for the kids. No liner in it. Dog ate it. So you and OSHA can both kiss my....ring. Oh, and it's a jerry can holder, not the can itself. (Don't they have a Silvan Learning Center in Iowa? They have adult reading comprehension programs that might suit you well, Doug!)

Grit, the PO was the "Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry." Doubt they screwed with it! And I bought it from a guy who'd just got it from (what's the agency's initials that auctions surplus federal property?) Yeah, them. He didn't do anything to it.

And I know it will soon be 24052 and all will be right with the world, at last. It's just a curiosity to me. C'mon now.... You know you're just as curious as I am!

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 27, 2006, 8:28pm

Even the paint that was hidden was exposed to the elements. Rain or water in general gets into everything plus who knows what else the truck was in. Even sitting and baking in the hot sun will have its effects on even the hidden parts. Most likely your truck was 24087 from the factory if it had Army markings which it looks like it did. Did you sand the bumper and bumperetts to find unit markings? If anything the most I've seen is the truck was painted and used by the Army then transfered to the Marines where it would have been painted USMC Green over the Army OD. I've seen that with M151s. Also 24087 when it flattens out is a slightly different shade much like the ammo can.
    I've also have had two cans of GI 24087 and they have been two different shades of color....
    Just my $.02 worth.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 27, 2006, 11:32pm

Quote:
    Even the paint that was hidden was exposed to the elements. Rain or water in general gets into everything plus who knows what else the truck was in. Even sitting and baking in the hot sun will have its effects on even the hidden parts. Most likely your truck was 24087 from the factory if it had Army markings which it looks like it did.

I agree about time and conditions being able to alter the shade of even protected paint, but I'm going to have a tough time believing that color used to be 24087. My jerry can holder is probably just as old, and has been weathered even more, yet it's pretty much the same shade as the new painted hard hat.

Also, as for being Army, then Marines, the original color is more like the Marine green. Now I could believe that used to be 24052. It's not too far off of that. Did any USMC vehicles find their way later to the Army? That might explain what I'm seeing. Except as I sanded, there's the Yellow, then a red oxide primer, then the original green with a primer under that, then metal. So that won't work.

Oh well.....

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Jun 28, 2006, 6:31am

I found the original numbers painted on the frame, but the hood and the tailgate had been swapped so they had army markings on them. I wrote them down somewhere. They were obviously different colors. Could it be that your doors and tailgate had just been swapped out? Mine had also been painted again by the PO WWII army green.