Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wrecker : 205 T case brake conversion

Default wrecker : 205 T case brake conversion

205 T case brake conversion
    Post by wrecker on Jun 16, 2006, 11:28am

I finally found a divorced 205 and I suppose the parking brake conversion Spicer posted is lost? Anybody got that info or done the conversion and have some pics/details? I'll be away from the pc 'till monday but feel free to post up. Any twin stick info would be welcome as well. As that has been debated before, I'll say in advance, I just want to do it 'cause it's kinda cool and it works so wether or not it's an advantage doesn't concern me in the least. Thanks. Bill

Default tacomainoh :

Re: 205 T case brake conversion
    Post by tacomainoh on Jun 16, 2006, 12:07pm

Twin stick info is available at www.google.com LOL plenty of pages on that conversion. Do it right, or you'll find out how cool it is to have your axles in different gears. That's pretty cool! SNNNNAAAAAAP heheh

Parking brake conversion is a little harder to get accurate info but not much. High Angle Driveline sells parts for it, or you can rig something if you've got a lathe. You need a mount for the caliper as well, but none of that is really rocket science. Watch your clearances... Spicer managed to uh... clearance his floor when he lost a crossmember hahahahahah

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 16, 2006, 1:56pm

its a costly conversion to use the stock e-brake parts. i do them but like i said the parts from high angle are priceyand there the only one who sells them . useually about 500.00 time its on the truck. parts alone are well over 300.00 including machineing of your old components.
    bob

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 16, 2006, 5:18pm

It can cost MUCH less than that with some digging. I think Spicer's into his for like, $50 or so. Seriously.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Jun 16, 2006, 5:54pm

But spicer did his own machining. What's the cost of a mill?

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 16, 2006, 8:59pm

price the yoke from high angle drive !!!!!! price the companion flange !!!!!!!! seal, e-brake band, etc. better do your homework guys before you talk !!!!!! i do !!!!!
    bob

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 16, 2006, 9:16pm

*sigh*

I wasnt' talking about using high-dollar aftermarket parts. I said you can rig something. Breathe! Using calipers is much cheaper. I know people here that are using ATV brakes w/cable activation. ETC ETC

but yes, if you go aftermarket it is going to cost you a bunch of money.

Kwai, yeah, mills aren't free either. That's why I said IF you have a lathe.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jun 16, 2006, 9:39pm

Didn't Lee do a disk parking brake conversion on his 715 when he dropped the 4BT in? I seem to recal that he used something like a cheby brake and caliper and just welded up the parts to make the thing work. (Foghorn Leghorn voice on) I say I say I could be wrong (voice off). but that is what sticks in my mind. I'm thinking with a little certain ethnic engineering you should be able to make something work for not a lot of cash and paying the big bucks.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 16, 2006, 9:48pm

I think Lee used something expensive... The really important part is the rotor, as far as I'm concerned: getting one that will fit. There are factory Dana/Spicer flanges out there that will work just fine with the right rotor.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 16, 2006, 9:53pm

excellent thread here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480702 on just this topic.