Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wrecker : Fuel tank liner

Default wrecker : Fuel tank liner

Fuel tank liner
    Post by wrecker on Jun 3, 2006, 7:58am

I've got a radiator shop in town that gave me an estimate of 200 bucks for relining the fuel tank on my 715 which I thought was a little steep. Does this sound about right? They said it would be a rubberized type of stuff also. Is there any other type of process? Since I don't know jack about this subject, I thought I'd throw it out there for yall to comment on. Thanks, Bill

Default brute4c :

Re: Fuel tank liner
    Post by brute4c on Jun 3, 2006, 8:24am

The stuff that is supposed to be "the best" is called "Renu"...it is a process that has to be done at a shop and from what I understand, when finished, its hard like metal...

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 3, 2006, 10:32am

Good stuff man. I don't know what the competitive prices are but it seems fair considering the results. The tanks I've seen with it come out very nice and it gives you one less thing to worry about.

Chris

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Jun 3, 2006, 10:43am

I used Renu on my tank, back in NJ, it had sat for at least 10 years that I can figure out.

The shop gave me an estimate of 350 bucks. A written estimate... which they said was higher than normal, but cause it was a military tank and all...

Then when I go to pick it up, I find out that aside from all the rust that was in there, the tank is baffled, making it near impossible to get one half cleaned out, and it had almost 2 inches of varnish on the bottom.

End result, the guy told me if he knew what he was getting into, it would've been more like 600 bucks, but I had that written estimate, so he had to honor it.

Also, for Renu, they have to cut a small hole in the tank (about 3/4"-1") which allows them to make sure its clean and allows them to get a thorough coating on everthing. Because of the baffle, they had to cut two. They weld the holes up with the product at the end of everything (yes it drys that hard), and in my case, the holes are at the top of the tank so you'd never know it. In most cases, they cut the holes at the top.

I've seen them at car shows left right and center back home, and some of the tanks they've had with them over the years... I was impressed. I'll do it again, and again and again. For my money, if I need a stock tank, in the stock location, its the only way I'd go.

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jun 3, 2006, 11:22am

I used a do it yourself product called Kreem. It is used in the motorcycle industry to clean and seal old metal gas tanks on bikes. It comes with a cleaner, a prep, and the sealer in a kit for around $30. I used 2 kits for my tank. Worked great and I have no leaks. I also used it about 12 years ago on a metal bike tank to seal it up and it has held ever since.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 3, 2006, 11:50am

I've heard bad bad things about Kreem coming apart over time and getting into the fuel system.

Chris

Default beast :

Post by beast on Jun 3, 2006, 2:56pm

I have heard that also, but like most things it's from not properly preping the tank. Any type of oil or residue of any kind will not let it seal and dry properly which leads to the pealing flaking problems that cause the fuel line blockage.

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on Jun 3, 2006, 5:09pm

I used kreem on my CJ rear tank and eventually it leaked from the very seam I was trying to seal. I was very careful with the prep work also. I now run a poly rear tank. If I were to line another tank I would take it to a shop that might have a better product than kreem.

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Jun 6, 2006, 11:37am

Thanks for the info. Slow response on my end due to no more home PC. Well, it's technically there, just not functional.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Jun 7, 2006, 6:47am

Well I got all excited reading this thread so i called "Renu". Closest dealer to my location is in HOUSTON TEXAS!!!! Crap!!! I'm in Orlando. Guess I'll have to go local. Read up on the stuff though. Sounds great!!!

http://www.gastankrenu.com/