Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: robsgp : so many questions

Default over2land :

Re: so many questions
    Post by over2land on May 27, 2006, 9:28pm

Quote:
    15's too young. 36's too old. 24's just right.

Chris

Dude, huh?

And check your mail.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on May 28, 2006, 3:18am

That is an easy way to remember the firing order, Chris!

Default robsgp :

Post by robsgp on May 28, 2006, 10:25am

Thanks, I was scratching my head too. So kind of a weak orange spark is likely points? That'll be my next parts adventure. It's been converted to 12V and I haven't found any markings on the coil or dizzy cap so far. Are Champion RL87YC standard plugs? Just guessing I set the gap at .030.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on May 29, 2006, 5:00pm

The weak orange spark coming from a civilian 12V distributor could be the exact same problem mine had when I got it. Somebody had installed a 6V ballast resistor in the ignition wire to the coil.

Check and make sure you are getting 12V to the + side of the coil. If not, make it so. If you are getting any spark at all, then your points are working. They "turn" the spark on and off is the simplest way to put it.

Look at your power supply and get back with us.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on May 29, 2006, 5:11pm

Tim, most coils require a ballast resistor or resistance wire to run on 12v. If not, the coil will run hot and you might end up burning points. Some coils have internal resistance. Best to break out an ohmmeter to be sure.

Chris

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on May 29, 2006, 5:28pm

Good point Chris. A proper 12V ballast resistor should be installed if it is not there already. A 12 V coil should actually have around 9 volts to work properly over the life of the points and coil. Your system can handle a full 12V for a limited time. Sorry if I gave the impression of something else.

Reading about the "weak orange spark" has me thinking he has a power supply problem or a bad coil. Hot wiring the coil to make it start is not going to mess up his coil for the few minutes he will be using it.

Default robsgp :

Post by robsgp on May 31, 2006, 6:25pm

I replaced about 18" of the pos wire to the coil. Between oil and exhaust heat the insulation was crumbling off. I do need to check voltage at the coil. Per the earlier suggestions, I did find the firing order wrong too. In trying to correct that I pulled the no.1 plug, laid it on the valve cover and put my finger over the hole to feel for the compression stroke and had the wife crank it. It doesn't seem like I get a spark on every compression stroke and I can't tell if it's at the right time. Should it be just after the woosh or in the middle? I may be fighting more than one problem. Obviously I have more work to do.

Default amphi :

Post by amphi on May 31, 2006, 8:16pm

This is what I would do:

Never done it on one of these 24v but this should be close.

Remove all plugs (this makes it easier to crank by-hand)

Take the distributor cap off and take the rotor off.

Roll it over by-hand in correct running direction (rotation)... don't use the starter -- ( you should be able to roll it with the fan blade keeping tension on the belts.

While turning the engine make a mental note of the direction of rotation of the distributor shaft.

Put your thumb or finger over the spark plug hole like you did when your wife was cranking. Feel for the compression stroke on #1 to begin. You can also put a spark plug in loose and listen for air as compression begins.

Stop as soon as you determine you are beginning the compression stroke for #1.

Now look at the timing mark on the cover and watch as you slowly roll it (in the correct running direction) until the timing marks on the pulley begin to appear near the cover mark. Stop when zero degrees lines up with the mark on the cover. If you go over move it back slightly to get it at zero.

You now have #1 at top dead center on the compression stroke.

Turn on the power to the ignition.

Loosen the distributor clamp

If the points are closed – slowly rotate the distributor body (in a direction opposite to rotation noted earlier) until the points just open (they might spark).

If the points are open – slowly rotate the distributor body (in the same rotation noted earlier) until the points just close and then back until they just open.

You now have spark with #1 at TOD.

Tighten the distributor clamp.

Now install the rotor and look at the cap to determine which plug wire it is pointing to. It should be #1. Now follow the wires in the direction of rotation around the cap and position them in the correct firing order.

Your timing will be slightly off (probably retarded) but it should run.

Somebody please chime in if this is off in any way or I left something out.

Let us know the results.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on May 31, 2006, 9:37pm

Perfect walk through on how to find TDC for #1 and set the timing. I do that with my students all the time. It is neat to see their eyes light up when they finally make the connection between what they have read about and it the different parts of the engine working together.

Default amphi :

Post by amphi on May 31, 2006, 11:41pm

Thanks barman ---- wasn't sure I had it all in there correctly.

Another thing I do, when there is an external coil, is to connect a spark plug to the coil output and look for spark. That way I know exactly when the points open. You probably do this with your students. Right?