Thread: kevins : rear canvas question

Default kevins : rear canvas question

rear canvas question
    Post by kevins on May 28, 2006, 11:29am

Hello,
    When I purchased my truck it came with the three U shape support poles for a canvas cover for the bed of the truck. Now I'm at the point where I may want to buy the canvas but have a few questions.
    1. When the poles are installed in the holes in the bed, how high are they from the bed. want to check to verify these are the correct ones.
    2. Besides Ebay where can you get the top, front and back canvas.
    3. Since the PO removed the tool brackets, I'm not sure that I have all the tie down points for the canvas. Can someone let me know how many tie down points there should be. pic's would be best for locations.
    Thanks in advance
    Kevin

Default k8icu :

Re: rear canvas question
    Post by k8icu on May 28, 2006, 11:48am

Kevin,
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I am sure the other members of the group will be very helpfull. On the canvas its self as to where to purchase the consenses is New Life Rescources. They seem to have the best product for the best price. Other alternatives would be Weebee Webbing and Beachwood Canvas. I suggest you do your research to find what is going to be best for you.
    Good luck with your truck and show us pics when you get it done.

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on May 28, 2006, 6:34pm

Do you have the troop seats that the bows fit into. On each of the short straight pieces of wood. There should be a piece of metal just below the metal corner pieces. This acts as a stop as they slide into troop seat brackets, keeping them all the same height. There should be 10 hooks for securing the cargo cover. 2 on the tail gate, 4 on each side of the bed. I am replacing some of the hooks on my truck at this time, and have some pictures. I tried to post them, but my comp. doesn't like image shack right now. Hope this is helpful

Default beast :

Post by beast on May 29, 2006, 1:39pm

I got both my rear canvas and soft top from Weebee Webbing. Both are great and look awesome.

Default kevins :

Post by kevins on May 29, 2006, 7:02pm

All,
    Thanks for the help. It looks like I have a total of 4 tie downs so I'm missing all the ones on the sides of the bed. I do have the troop seats brackets, the wood was rotted so I cut the wood out for easier storage. So a couple more questions.
    1. 503m715, Where did you or does anyone know where to get replacement tie downs. I will also need to know where to weld them back in if anyone has the measurements and orientation of them, pictures would be best I think if possible.
    2. Beast, can you measure the distance from the inside top of your rear canvas to the bed. I want to verify that the brackets I have are correct before I go out and buy the canvas. Oh by the way nice looking truck mine is getting close to yours but mine needs markings and back canvas.

As usual everyone here has really helped with this truck. I don't think I will ever finish it. But this truck has been fun but more expensive hobby then I would have like.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on May 29, 2006, 7:29pm

I took the hooks off of a 2.5 ton. They are bolted on instead of welded, but are the same size.

Default kevins :

Post by kevins on May 29, 2006, 8:02pm

503m715,
    I just noticed were neighbors. I live in North Plains. We should get together sometime.
    Kevin

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on May 29, 2006, 8:41pm

Sounds good, I should have some extra hooks for you. I have a few sets of troop seat hardware and cargo top frame sets and a nos cargo canvas. You could take measurements from them if you need to. Another member is going to drop by this Sat to pick up some parts. If you are not doing anything you should drop in for a visit.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 30, 2006, 12:45am

Quote:
    Another member is going to drop by this Sat to pick up some parts. If you are not doing anything you should drop in for a visit.

That'd be me.... I'm thinking of breakfast in Woodburn next Saturday morning. Also rpgdeity will be joining us (to pick up his springs and sell me his carburetor). Know of any good place there for breakfast?

Also, kevins, Beast sells all the vinyl decals--all sorts of styles (Army, USMC, etc.) Very reasonable prices too.

Default beast :

Post by beast on May 30, 2006, 12:23pm

Quote:

Quote:
    Another member is going to drop by this Sat to pick up some parts. If you are not doing anything you should drop in for a visit.

That'd be me.... I'm thinking of breakfast in Woodburn next Saturday morning. Also rpgdeity will be joining us (to pick up his springs and sell me his carburetor). Know of any good place there for breakfast?

Also, kevins, Beast sells all the vinyl decals--all sorts of styles (Army, USMC, etc.) Very reasonable prices too.

Yep, you can go to my site to see about the decals I make for the trucks. it's http://home.thinkextreme.net/~schwarzd/