Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tomkirkman : Removing front driving flange

Default barrman :

Re: Removing front driving flange
    Post by barrman on May 27, 2006, 4:31pm

I used a Snap-On stud puller that came with my 1/2" socket set. I tried the studs with the Selectro hubs once before I got bloody knuckles. Off came the hubs and the studs. Bolts are a lot better on my hands.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 27, 2006, 6:10pm

if you have to weld the nuts to the studs or double nut them and back them all out. than you can loosen the flange easyer. also take a srong scraper blade and drive it in between the flange and hub. you can also apply some heat to the flange.
    bob

Default tomkirkman :

Post by tomkirkman on May 27, 2006, 7:02pm

I got them off. I just hit them with penetrating oil, left the nuts out and went and drove the darn thing. They must have moved just enough to split the seal/gasket.

One thing I didn't like to see - when I slid the first one off about a half pint of red liquid came pouring out. The old red wheel bearing grease was in there. Never liked that stuff - seems to turn to liquid pretty easy. Might as well take the wheel bearings out and repack them with a better quality grease while I'm at it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll find out tomorrow if I like the Selectro hubs. In spinning them around off the vehicle, they don't seem to ever fully disengage. Then ends of the gear spines seem to hit each other. Oh well, I'll know tomorrow. Thanks again.

Default amphi :

Post by amphi on May 27, 2006, 8:24pm

Quote:
    In spinning them around off the vehicle, they don't seem to ever fully disengage. Then ends of the gear spines seem to hit each other. Oh well, I'll know tomorrow. Thanks again.

I noticed the same thing with my Selectro's --- didn't seem to fully disengage in my hand – but when installed they work just fine. Spin the wheel after you install them and you might hear a slight very faint clicking but it goes away – at least it did on mine.

Glad driving the truck to loosen them helped.

Good luck!!

Edit: Added:

Quote:
    Just a note...for those who switch to the selectable drive hubs...I always carry the stock drive hubs when I wheel...the selectable one can...and occasionally do...break...the stock flanges still work and can save the day in such a situation...

Good idea brute4c!! I think I'll keep mine on board.

Thanks

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 28, 2006, 7:03pm

Learned it from others who have broken theirs....

Good to hear you got them loose Tom....sure was the long way home but they musta been pretty bad from what you went through....you'll love the selectros in comparison...

Default tomkirkman :

Post by tomkirkman on May 28, 2006, 9:06pm

The Selectros are basically a short term solution to a bigger problem - my truck has a transfer which is permanently locked in 4WD. So being able to unlock the hubs at least allows me to drive it on hard surfaces until I can replace the transfer case.

Just for kicks I unlocked the hubs and then tried twisting and turning the front driveshaft - just to see if I could do anything from outside the vehicle, but no luck. She's locked. Oh well, at least I can drive it now without breaking someting.

Default drvnkaiserdaily :

Post by drvnkaiserdaily on May 28, 2006, 9:25pm

Does the shifter return to normal 2 wd position and still have the ft axle engaged?

Default tomkirkman :

Post by tomkirkman on May 29, 2006, 7:45am

Yes, the shifter is fine. It's something inside the transfer case that isn't working.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 29, 2006, 9:22am

So now instead of driving everything from the tcase to the tire, you are driving everything from the tcase through the axle flange but not routing power to the hub and wheel/tire....

Yeah, that'll take care of the torque build up leading to bind in the drive train...but wow....

Interesting bandaid...never thought of the hubs that way..

Default tomkirkman :

Post by tomkirkman on May 29, 2006, 9:39am

A "band aid" is exactly what it is. I just didn't want to break anything when driving on hard surfaces.

And once I get a new transfer case installed, the hubs will be a welcome addition anyway.