Thread: gimpyrobb : Thinking about a cucv

Default gimpyrobb : Thinking about a cucv

Thinking about a cucv
    Post by gimpyrobb on May 23, 2006, 1:39pm

I'm thinking about getting a chevy CUCV. I know someone who has a 1008. What do I need to look for (trouble spots) on these? Whats the going rate for one?

Default k8icu :

Re: Thinking about a cucv
    Post by k8icu on May 23, 2006, 9:04pm

Gimmpy since noone is taking you seriously here I'll give you my $.02 worth.....
    Mechanical wise look at the engine and trans. Is it hard to start? What do the glow plugs look like? Check the air cleaner to see if there is any oil blow back. Does the engine smoke? does the engine idel smooth or does it run rough? If it is smooth with no smoke and plugs look like there not rusted in I'd say you probably have a good motor. How does it shift? Smooth or jerks? Again you want smooth.
    Body wise look for rust around the cabs rockers and the rear corners. Brush guard will most likely be bent in some way or shape.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 24, 2006, 9:20am

Joe, didnt you have...or maybe it was someone else...problems with he mixed voltage electrical system on the CUCV's?? Is there something to watch out for in that regard?

I personally have only seen them at mil shows...and never looked super close either...

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on May 24, 2006, 11:37am

Jon, from what I understand the 24v system is for the starter only. Everything else runs 12v.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on May 24, 2006, 12:13pm

Hey, I didn't think about it, but if the price is right, will the axles work under the kaiser? Or is that a different model? I'm not sure it runs right now I'll have to see.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 24, 2006, 12:32pm

I seem to remember talk of some sort of "box" behind the dash that was involved with an electrical problem someone was having with a CUCV...some kind of converter maybe?

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 24, 2006, 9:22pm

CUCVs have a 12-24V system. The 24V is for the starter and glow plugs and any mill radio equipment, black out lights etc. The 12V system is for everything else. So what you have is the typical starting system in a chevy truck that when you turn the key a 12V signal is sent to the selinoid. Problem is that's 24V. So what happens is under the dash they use a relay to switch 12V to 24V. The 12V signal goes from the ignition to the relay and causes it to close which completes the 24V circut to the starter selinoid. My relay had gone bad and after I pulled the starter found out that the relay was the problem. I picked a new one up from Front Line Surplus only to find out that I could have used a chevy AC relay from any autoparts store for a whole lot less! Live and learn.
    I don't see why you couldn't use the axels on the M715 just that the M1008 is a 3/4 ton. The M1028 like I had is the 1.5 ton.