Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gimpyrobb : Towbar

Default gimpyrobb : Towbar

Towbar
    Post by gimpyrobb on May 16, 2006, 11:18pm

In a thread on the old Zone, we decided that you were supposed to use saftey chains in addition to the towbar. Has anyone done this and have pics? I plan on flat towing the Kaiser to the F.E. and was wondering.

Default boghog :

Re: Towbar
    Post by boghog on May 17, 2006, 6:33am

I was instructed here in MI. that I needed chain or cables, just like a trailer. I made up some 6' 3/8" cables with hooks on the ends wraped them around the tow bar. Wizz Bang! worked great.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on May 17, 2006, 8:37am

Thanks, I am looking to use them, which is why I'm looking for suggestions. I never thought of cables instead of chains. I'll have to look into that. Anyone else?

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 17, 2006, 8:41am

I started that thread and I did attach chains when I flat towed the truck.

I bought chain rated higher than the trucks weight, added hooks rated that high that fit the tow vehicles mounts on the hitch for the front and wrapped the rear of the chains around the axle tube, going over the top of the tube the hooking to itself tightly. It was better to hook up the axle end of the chain first then figure out how much chain was needed up front, then cut to fit with the hook. I did leave a little extra length in them that I took up by wrapping around the towbar on the way from the axle forward. Pic:

If you need more, let me know...

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 17, 2006, 8:46am

By the way, only the one chain is wrapped in that pic, as you can see...the other still needed to be one.

Also note that the lengthof the chain, no matter the angles of the vehicles, doesnt change, as the towbar length doesnt change...so if you have a little slack at the dead ahead positions, you have the same amount on a full turn...kinda obvious once you look at it...only time the chain would get tight is when something changed the towbar length or if there were some kind of release by the towbar.

I will note here that when we were drug to a stop by the brake lockup problem, the towbar could not be removed by moving the tow vehicle forward or back...it just wouldnt release anything at all...I have to pull the pins from the front tow shackles and remove the towbar from the truck there...with a little help from a BIG hammer...then I could get it out of the pintle again...
    They dont just fall apart is the lesson there...

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on May 17, 2006, 10:45am

Thats exactly what I was hoping for Jon. Thank you. I think once I get a second hoop for the front, I'll prolly run the chains through them, just to keep off the ground.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on May 17, 2006, 10:47am

Also, is there any reason you use the bar at it's shortest? I think they are rated at 17,000lbs all the way out.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 17, 2006, 11:06am

I guess just to keep the length down...just never tried it in any other position...

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 17, 2006, 12:35pm

remember, your tow setup is only rated what the weakest link is capable of...
    i'm sure you knew that..

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 17, 2006, 12:39pm

I guess I dont know why you added that....you are trying to tell me/us something...I missed it.