Thread: robo : pontiac transplant

Default robo : pontiac transplant

pontiac transplant
    Post by robo on May 15, 2006, 8:03am

I've got a '65 pontiac 389, turbo 400, and divorced dodge np205. I haven't seen too many guys running pontiacs here, but does this sound like a good alternative, or will I run out of room w/the auto tranny? I'm thinking the biggest hurdles will be welding in the frame horns and tranny cross-member. Thoughts? The upside is I have tripower heads and a ram 3 cam in the engine Too bad it isn't a goat block though

Default barrman :

Re: pontiac transplant
    Post by barrman on May 15, 2006, 8:48am

You should have a good running truck when you are done. The stock 230 is a very long engine. Longer than my Big Block Chevy. My 396 and NV4500 are within an inch of the stock 230/T-98. Your Pontiac and TH400 should be about the same length.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 15, 2006, 9:05am

People have installed 455 Indian motors and autos and they fit...

Not sure on motor mounts, but can you use the mount plates like spicergear fabbed up for his Chevy engines? Maybe make a similiar type thing for the Pontiacs? He used 1/4 inch thick steel plate and had the frame horn pattern on it as well as the blocks mount pattern...the right side one he made looks like this:

Then it all depends on where the rear of the trans falls in relation to the crossmember...might be able to move the engine forward enough to get close to the crossmember mount in the rear and make an adapter out of box tubing or such...

Default drvnkaiserdaily :

Post by drvnkaiserdaily on May 15, 2006, 7:09pm

On a 1965 motor,you need to confirm that it is a 6 bolt bellhousing.If its a 5 bolt,you must rebuild the trans you have if it were to ever fail. Moparnut64 Also note that olds,ponty and caddy all share the same bellhouing pattern(except the 5 bolt patterns)Chevy is the only oddball in the GM line

Default beast :

Post by beast on May 16, 2006, 8:16am

I have an early 70's Pontiac 400 in mine. It's mated to the stock T98 via and adapter plate. It uses the stock motor mount locations on the frame, but moves the trans about an inch forward. This means changes in the trans mount and shifter hole, and a longer intermedate shaft. But there are no clearance issues at the firewall. I don't know a whole lot because the swap was done by a PO and not me, but I looked everything over when I had the truck apart. The truck drives real nice with that motor in it and the stock gearing. It will cruise along at 55 just fine and has plenty of power through all the gears. Here are some pics from when I had the truck apart.

More pics can be seen by following my link in my sig.

Default beast :

Post by beast on May 17, 2006, 7:55am

That motor has been in the truck for at least 20 years from what I can tell. Doesn't burn oil and has great compresion in all cylinders. If it has lasted that long at 55mph, I think is should last me quite a while longer.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 16th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.