Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweeney : POR-15 ?s

Default sweeney : POR-15 ?s

POR-15 ?s
    Post by sweeney on Apr 25, 2006, 9:44pm

How much should I get to cover the frame? Wheres the best place to get it?

Default poolmike :

Re: POR-15 ?s
    Post by poolmike on Apr 26, 2006, 6:09am

I used 1 qt for two coats on the frame rails only. The stuff goes on smooth and goes far. Just make sure you prep the metal good first with degreaser then some phosphuric acid to etch the surface.

*edit* cover yourself from head to toe when using this stuff. The only thing that will remove it from your skin is TIME!

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Apr 26, 2006, 6:43am

I would stay away from it if you live anywhere near the coast! Salt kills this stuff. If you were to drip sweat in it the whole can would be lost. The same goes with the salt air. I painted much of my vehicle with it, but only after about 10 months rust was coming through and it was flaking off. I called POR and they gave me my money back.

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Apr 26, 2006, 7:39am

porkchop -- good point, seems it would be OK after it cured, if you do paint it in a salt-air free environment.

I've used it, and will say don't plan on resealing a can.. or reseal it, but plan on punching a hole in the can next time if you get any on the rim.

Last couple of times i've just bought the small six packs, so you don't have to worry about sealing it, unless you have something larger to do.

Order it directly from POR -- you don't want to risk getting some that's sat a while.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Apr 26, 2006, 8:22am

ditto what porkchop said..it peeled off in 3 months, even though I asked them directly if I could paint it on something across the street from the ocean, but they gave me my money back...

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 26, 2006, 10:12am

I've heard you can put a sheet of Saran-wrap under the lid when you reseal it and it will open for you again. Just what I've heard....

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Apr 26, 2006, 11:55am

wax paper is also good. bob

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Apr 26, 2006, 4:16pm

Thanks for the info guys. I can see the ocean from my driveway so I'm gussing I should stay away from the POR15. Im going to have the body off my truck by the weekend, I guess I will just sand it and repaint it.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Apr 26, 2006, 6:03pm

A good product to use is http://www.zerorust.com/ After my POR15 experience I used this after a good word from a past zoner and it works great.

Default sweeney :

Post by sweeney on Apr 26, 2006, 8:34pm

Thanks PC, I'm not picky about how my frame looks, but if you have any pictures of how this stuff looks I'd like to see them. I'll deffinetly use it for the frame, depending on the price I might do the underside of the cab and bed too.