Thread: saxon : stock rearend build up questions ???

Default saxon : stock rearend build up questions ???

stock rearend build up questions ???
    Post by saxon on May 9, 2006, 10:29pm

Hello guys, newbe saxon here again, I pulled my front end brought it to my gear guy, no problem getting parts for 30 spline 60 but the rear end is a little different story, (I think), he says the 23 spline axle is for the open carrier only. I was thinking possi or locker of some sort. Does anyone know of 30 or 35 spline axles that fit or any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Default rpgdeity :

Re: stock rearend build up questions ???
    Post by rpgdeity on May 9, 2006, 11:28pm

What kind of stuff did he say he was able to get for the front axle? Just replacement parts, or stuff like posi and lockers?

This is what I know about the rear axle. Your options are limited to a detroit locker (goes in the stock open carrier), or a limited slip (PowerLock). You can still get the detroit I'm told, but good luck finding the PL. What you could do, and is what I did, is "make" a PL. Here is what you do:
    Get the set of 23 spline Dana 70 side gears that are on Ebay right now (# 8042744065), then go to your gear shop and have them put those side gears in any 4.56+ PowerLock for the D70. Make sure its the right offset, I think its .5 inch. There you go, brand new PL with the 23 spline side gears.

I ended up getting a used PL carrier, put the 23 spline side gears in it and bought a new set of clutches, ended up costing just under $500 when all was said and done. I think a Detroit is a little more than $300.

EDIT:
    Oh, and I looked into trying to get all new axle shafts, but had no luck. I think the problem I ran into is that the D70 in the M715 has a different offset than the modern D70s, and therefore there aren't any axle shafts that fit it. But to be honest, once I got my PL, I stopped pursing the new axle shaft idea.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on May 10, 2006, 12:18am

Thanks for the great info rpgdeity, John my gear guy seemed to think 30 spline 60 possi units were available, he said there were two different types, I think the power lock was the heavyer duty one with more clutches. The clutch types have more everyday roadability than the locker's (from my understanding) this truck is for towing a big boat and some light 4 wheeling. Ttanks.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on May 10, 2006, 12:32am

If you find any info on a limited slip type unit that would fit in the front axle, let me know.

The PowerLock is the heavier type. The TracLock is what came out after the PL. The PL has 4 spider gear whereas the TL only has 2. Another cool thing is that the PL is a split type carrier. What I am thinking about doing with my PL is buying another clutch pack. The PL has some conical type clutches and then some flat type clutches. If you take out the flat type, put in only conicals from both clutch packs, you will have one very tight limited slip. You can't do this with the TL because its a one piece case.

I have thought about getting the detroit locker some day just to throw back in my axle just to experience it. My understanding is yes, its a bit more harsher diff because it locks, but if you learn how to drive with one than it isn't too bad. Although I don't think a Detroit would be very good for towing, but I personally havn't driven with one.

Default devildog :

Post by devildog on May 10, 2006, 6:43am

Saxon,
    I have a good used powerlock with the right spline count for the stock axels if you are interested PM me.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on May 10, 2006, 9:53pm

Thanks devildog, Yes I'm interested,I got your e-mail off the list and flung you one, now you got mine we'll talk turkey. Saxon

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on May 10, 2006, 10:01pm

rpgdeity, Maybe my terminology is all wet, I was thinking the locker was the racheting type of replacement diff. I looked high and low online and could'nt find any 23 spliners, not even a stupid spool.

Default rpgdeity :

Post by rpgdeity on May 11, 2006, 1:50am

Randy's Ring and Pinion has the 23 spline Detroit Locker. The Detroit fits in your stock open differential, it replaces the spider gears. The Power Lock is a whole new type of carrier and everything, and its a clutch type limited slip. Randy's site also shows that they have a used 23 spline PowerLock. I hope that answered your question.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on May 11, 2006, 7:44pm

rpgdeity, It did! Thanks for all the help. Dan