Sticky? Attaining Records on your m715
Post by socal715 on May 10, 2006, 11:01am

I asked Arnold Grassi about attaining ID#'s or any other information on our trucks.. from where they were stationed (my truck in particular) I figured that someone may like to hear what most of us already knew. Basically you cant get any info on your truck or where it's been.

"Hate to rain on your parade, but you would probably have better look watching the skies for UFOs.
First off, you can't call the base since the DRMO for China lake has been closed for many years.

Second, that truck was released from military service into DRMO/GSA inventory over 20 years ago. Chances are, anyone who was around when that truck was turned in has probably long since retired.

Third, DRMO handles HUNDREDS of vehicles. If any one was still around, they sure would not remember any particular vehicle, especiallly since the DoD discontinued using the M715, and turned in many for dispersal to non-Dod agencies.

Fourth, a vehicle is not turned in by bumper numbers or hood serial numbers. The VIN number is recorded on a mil-strip (turn-in document). Once the vehicle is turned over to another agency, or sold at auction, the mil-strip is kept for a short while, and then shredded. this might be a year or less. Once a vehicle is stricken from unit inventory, its' paper trail is quickly erased. This is in keeping with the US Governments' paper reduction act of the 1980's.

The only thing the delivery date (from the kaiser factory) tells is the date the vehicle entered inventory into Army Material Command. AMC then disperses it to military bases, who then disperse them to field units. Lots of paper that quikcly gets shredded.

Hope this helps.

AG"