Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : SBC output shaft variations?

Default binfordm715 : SBC output shaft variations?

SBC output shaft variations?
    Post by binfordm715 on May 7, 2006, 9:40pm

I have a 465/205 combo that will someday get swapped in to the M715. I plan to keep my eye out for a SBC 350 donor vehicle eventually. No hurry. Just planning ahead is all.

I'm just wondering, if I were to come across a low-mileage Grandma-mobile, say a 1990 Caprice with the 5.7L, would the output shaft be the same length/spline-count as I would need for the 465, or would I just be inviting all sorts of trouble? Would it bolt right on, or should I just look for a truck with a 350-to-SM465 combo?

Default luckypabst :

Re: SBC output shaft variations?
    Post by luckypabst on May 7, 2006, 10:29pm

Unless I'm missing something here, all you'll need to get right is the clutch disc and pressure plate. You'll need to slap in a pilot bearing too if the engine came from an auto trans.

Chris

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 7, 2006, 10:43pm

Three guesses as to how many engine swaps I've done in my life!

Maybe Grandpa has a nice '89 pickup with a 465 he wants to sell so he and Grandma can cruise around in their Caprice! Sounds like a donor with a 465 would be the better candidate.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on May 7, 2006, 10:55pm

Not necessarily!

I assume you have the bellhousing already. Worst case, you'll need to find the flywheel and clutch set for some truck with 350 and 4-speed. You should be replacing the entire clutch set anyhow unless you have verified good parts in hand.

I was able to purchase a "rebuilt" flywheel from the local parts place for not much more than they charged to resurface my old one. It's certainly more convenient than scouring a wrecking yard for a flywheel thats gonna need to be ground before you use it.

I guess my real point is that there are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr more 350's out there in front of various auto trannies and light duty manual shifts so I wouldn't suggest limiting yourself to chasing down a truck with a relatively rare option package.

Chris

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 7, 2006, 11:10pm

As long as it's doable and without a $500 surprise in so doing, I'd sure rather go with the more readily available donor vehicle options. Thanks, Lucky!

No difference in the engines themselves in a car vs. a truck? Any year range you recommend keeping an eye out for? Carburetor, TBI, EFI, what would a shade-tree "mechanic" be best doing? Sure would like to go with fuel injection if I can.

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on May 7, 2006, 11:21pm

Chevy changed the rear seal around '86, so the flywheel won't interchange with the earlier stuff. You'll just have to make sure you have the right parts if you don't find that matched grandpa set. No differences between car/truck motors, generally.

A lot of people will tell you to run EFI, but I still like the old carbs. I have my reasons, but you gotta look at your own situation.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 7, 2006, 11:26pm

I do appreciate the simplicity of carburetors and I'm not against going with one. As long as I get one on there that works better off-camber than the friggin' BBD on my CJ!

And I have the 465/205 already, so I don't need anything but the motor and sundry manual-tranny parts.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on May 7, 2006, 11:30pm

I'm not a Chevy guy but here're my thoughts:

SBC are pretty interchangeable across the board. There were some changes made in the mid-80's but for the most part it won't affect what you're doing. Not sure but flywheels may be the only thing to watch out for when they changed to the one-piece rear main seal.

They say the Quadrajet is the poorman's EFI and a lot of folks are more comfortable setting up a carb in a swap. TBI is a great upgrade if you just want reliable running with elevation change and severe angles but performance improvements are marginal. TPI or a multi-port fuel injection is best for performance and reliablity but only happened on the HP cars and very late model regular vehicles. Either way, there are some great wiring kits to make an EFI conversion very plug'n'play easy (for a good chunk of change). Personally, I would hold out for the multi-point injection and probably do the wiring myself. EFI also requires some fuel system changes - something else to think about.

Depending on the vintage of your tranny, Chevy used two different starter styles, one that bolted to the bellhousing, one that bolted to the engine block.

As far as differences between cars and trucks - A broad generalization is that truck engines are built for more low end power and car engines are built to power out into the upper end of the rpm range. Trucks tend to get heavier duty service parts like clutches and exhaust manifolds, sometimes dual belt alternators - things that see abuse when worked hard.

It's also good to verify engine size and output when you're looking around. Smog era stuff can be pretty lame and they built a few sneaker turds.

Chris

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on May 7, 2006, 11:41pm

Yep, Q-jets are good. I haven't had any luck rebuilding them, though. Find one that runs and leave it alone.
    Since you have a starting point, you'll need a motor, flywheel to match, clutch set w/ pilot bushing (Don't bother with a pilot bearing, use the bushing... Ask gimpy), clutch fork, um, that's about it for connecting the motor to trans. What am I forgetting?

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on May 8, 2006, 9:59am

talked to a mechanic buddy this morning - he said the output shafts are interchangeable. you may have to change the flywheel depending on the year of the motor. they did change the rear seal from a 2-piece to a 1-piece, which necessitates the flywheel change.

i had to change to a mini-starter because of the bellhousing issue and to clear the headers.