Thread: fisherman : Gas Tank Questions

Default fisherman : Gas Tank Questions

Gas Tank Questions
    Post by fisherman on May 5, 2006, 9:23pm

I'm nearing the point of thinking about wiring. My fuel tank is in great shape and I will be converting over to a 12volt system, painless wiring harness. Is there a conversion or a part # for a new gas tank float sending unit for 12 volts. Any information or help is greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics in a few weeks of the progress. Slow but sure. Fisherman

Default treepusher :

Re: Gas Tank Questions
    Post by treepusher on May 6, 2006, 9:52am

NAPA has a universal fuel level gauge set, part number 501-1742. It has a float assembly and gauge. My makeshift install story is at my Treepusher web site.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 6, 2006, 10:38am

Heh, heh, heh.... Why you didn't pull the drain plug is confounding me!

Loved the Lolo Trail story!

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on May 6, 2006, 11:18am

Thanks Man, next trip to Napa will order one. I pulled the drain plug only about a half a gallon of clean fuel came out. The inside of the tank is still shiny and the fuel pickup tube screen can be seen a shiny new looking. I think its in great shape. Binford I'll be painting soon, almost finished with every body part except for the cab. Will paint everything before reassembly and decide if to paint again or not after reassambly. Fisherman

Default treepusher :

Post by treepusher on May 6, 2006, 1:42pm

The reason I didn't use the drain plug was because... well aw... Okay, I'll admit it. The tank has a few rusted through pin hole gas seeper leaks on the bottom around the drain plug. For a temporary fix I covered the leaks with J-B Weld. I was afraid that I might break the epoxie. I have sense then pulled the plug without problems. I need to reapply the J-B Weld every few years for another temporary repair thats going on for about 10 years.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on May 6, 2006, 1:51pm

Next time maybe try the POR 15 gas tank repair kit, just a suggestion. Thanks Again for the info. Fisherman

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 6, 2006, 5:51pm

Quote:
    Binford I'll be painting soon, almost finished with every body part except for the cab. Will paint everything before reassembly and decide if to paint again or not after reassambly. Fisherman

I can't wait to hear how it goes for you! I've got my two gallons here now. I'll be doing my dash with the spray cans so we can just mask it all off and not have to worry about all the detail stuff when I have my truck there.

I'll be hitting the body panels with the 220 in the next few weeks and giving them all a nice coat of that primer.

I should probably take a peek inside my gas tank to see how it looks. (Segue back to topic!)

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on May 7, 2006, 4:17pm

Get the NAPA kit if you can. I was too cheap to do that and made a sending unit from a '71 buick work great. It took me about 15 minutes.