Thread: binfordm715 : The transformation has begun...

Default binfordm715 : The transformation has begun...

The transformation has begun...
    Post by binfordm715 on May 5, 2006, 11:21pm

Y'all remember this lovely passenger door, eh?

Well, here it is now:

With the coat of primer on it, I can see where it needs a little more sanding and perhaps a bit of Bondo. But it sure is nice to be past that nasty door!

Question for the painters out there, particularly MY (hopefully) painter, fisherman, about the primer I am using. Following your suggestion, fish, I'm just using rattle can primer, tackling the job part by part. I want to use a good primer, though, so I'm using the same stuff I used on my wheels. It's from Tacoma Screw (a name that didn't strike me as funny until I typed it on this forum! Now I can't stop laughing!) It's sort of like a Fastenal store.

Anyway, the paint is store-brand stuff. Seems very high quality. I love the way it shoots--very thick. I just want to make sure it's compatible with the Gillespie paint. Here's what the can reads:

Industrial High Solids Protective Coating, Maintenance & Repair Operations, Single Coat Coverage, Extreme conditions Protection, Corrosion resistant-weather, humidity, water, abrasion, and heat. Environmentally formulated, V.O.C. Compliant. Red Iron Oxide Primer. Catalog No. 663-104.

There's a laundry list of stuff that it contains, such as Acetone 67-54-1; Propane 74-98-6; Toluol 108-88-3....

I shot a little on something, let it dry about 2 hours, then shot Gillespie paint over it to see if it would blister or anything. After several hours it seems fine.

I just don't want to get the whole freakin' truck primered in this stuff only to find out it won't work with the Gillespie paint I just bought! Any sure way to know?

On another note, how does one rivet the new data plates to the backing plate? Does it take special rivets? Or will any ol' rivet work?

Also pulled the carb tonight. Sitting on my work bench waiting for me to give it some time with the rebuild kit Brandon was kind enugh to donate to the cause. Thanks, rpg!

Oh, and that hardtop is going on the For Sale board in just a few minutes.....

Default socal715 :

Re: The transformation has begun...
    Post by socal715 on May 5, 2006, 11:47pm

Looks good man.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on May 6, 2006, 11:28am

Tim I'll take the hardtop for let see trade if its not to expensive, would save shipping. What's wrong with it I'm sure I can fix it. Let me know. You probably answered your own question on the primer paint thing. Should be fine, I'll have at least 3 different primers on mine, use different colors to help find the imperfections instead of guide coating and blocking everthing down. Sounds like an excellent primer to me. Fisherman

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 7, 2006, 11:08am

The only thing with the primer that I can think of is that it might make the 24087 a shade lighter or darker. I know the Gillispie primer helps make the the top paint the right shade. But as long as the whole truck is done in the same primer you shouldn't have a color issue.

Remember Tim its an Amry truck and not a Porche a little color shade here and there adds caracter!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 7, 2006, 2:12pm

No, no.... I wasn't worried about color shade at all. Incompatible paints was my concern. I didn't want my 24052 to blister up after a week because of the primer I used! I will have lots of dings, scratches, bent parts, etc., when it's all finished. As you said, it's an Army truck!

Default tomkirkman :

Post by tomkirkman on May 7, 2006, 3:26pm

What size tires are those and are they mounted on the stock split rims?

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 7, 2006, 3:40pm

those are 11.00x16 XL's on the stock wheels , yep