Thread: offtheback : Ranger Overdrive/Gear Splitter

Default offtheback : Ranger Overdrive/Gear Splitter

Ranger Overdrive/Gear Splitter
    Post by offtheback on Apr 26, 2006, 2:47am

I need to take a look when I go back to the shop to see exactly what driveline components are under my truck.

I'm not sure that the tranny is stock, but it does have a ranger overdrive connected to it.

I am going automatic, so I'm going to be pulling whatever transmission is in it, the overdrive and the transfer case.

Default robertcowan :

Re: Ranger Overdrive/Gear Splitter
    Post by robertcowan on Apr 27, 2006, 2:05pm

could somebody post a link to rangers site ? i,d like to check it out.
    bob

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Apr 27, 2006, 2:29pm

Link:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/043.html

Bob, I got one in mine. It won't be at FE, but you are welcome to check mine out if you are ever down this way. I'll hollar if I get up that way with it.

I kept my transmission (stock, with chevy input shaft) in stock location, and pushed my chevy 350 forward.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Apr 28, 2006, 3:10pm

How far foward did it move the motor and how much room left between the fan and radiator.
    What is the stock # for the chev input shaft and where did you get it?

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Apr 28, 2006, 3:40pm

I got the input shaft and rebuild kit from Hick's 4x4 several years ago. All new gears from AB Linn.

The transmission stayed in stock location. The o/d is a bit more than 7" long. 350 waterpump is about 2" from the radiator. I used dual electric pusher fans in front of the radiator. One good advantage of pushing the motor forward is that there is plenty of room to get to the HEI mounted on the back side of the motor. Motor mounts line up to the shock mounts, and those bolts are used to bolt on the motor mounts to the frame.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Apr 28, 2006, 9:30pm

does it shift and do good on the highway ? how much speed increase did you get from it with the stock gears ? any problems or disslikes about it ?
    bob

Default offtheback :

Post by offtheback on Apr 29, 2006, 12:22am

Thanks Kaiser it definitely WILL be for sale, but a few things have gotten delayed, so I'll update it in the For Sale section when it is actually ready to go.

It shifts fine on the highway (or at any speed for that matter)
    You just have to put in the clutch to shift it.

I have even used it as a true "gear splitter" when I am pulling something or climbing a hill and needed to upshift, but the next gear was a bit too high...you have to be quick with your hands, but I can move from 2nd to 2nd overdrive and then in the next shift disengage overdrive and engage 3rd (that's where you have to be quick), etc.

it is a 27% overdrive, so you will cut 27% off of your RPMs at any given gear/speed combination.

No complaints about it at all, the only reason I am getting rid of it is that now that I have gone to 5.13 axle gears and 44" tires I have no need for it, and I actually want to buy a Klune V underdrive to go with the automatic transmission so that I can get my low gears again.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Apr 30, 2006, 6:23pm

Interesting! another Utahn with a Ranger. Mine is an underdrive, and is the Chevy input/output.

That means, it's a coarse 10spl for manuals. Offtheback, if you are interested in an underdrive, let me know. It's for sale pretty cheap, and you can keep the manual for a pretty low first... moves the 465 from 6.55:1 in first to like... 7.66:1. anywhoo. 435-224-2453 since I am travelling and have sporadic access.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Apr 30, 2006, 6:24pm

oops, you're going automatic. Never mind then!