Thread: porkchop : 4:10 gears in the stock axles

Default porkchop : 4:10 gears in the stock axles

4:10 gears in the stock axles
    Post by porkchop on Apr 24, 2006, 7:34am

Wish I could search the zone but I can't . Has anyone put 4:10's in the stock axles? I was thinking about this for a while, why do I need to swap axles? I don't wheel my truck in any harsh environment, nothing close by, so the stock axles are fine as far as strength goes. The stock gearing of course sucks for highway speed, so I could swap out the gears a lot cheaper than getting new axles. The only thing that keeps me thinking new axles is the parts availablity. But I have enough spare seals and bearings to last for many years. So what do you all think?

Default kevins :

Re: 4:10 gears in the stock axles
    Post by kevins on Apr 24, 2006, 7:55am

When I re-geared my truck the only ones I could find was 4:56 which with the XL tires work good, with the 454 under the hood.
    Kevin

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 24, 2006, 8:31am

The stock axles carrier only works from 4.56 and higher numerically. To go below that, one needs to get a new carrier for the axles...

And I do not kow if anyone carries the 30 spline front and 23 spline rear carriers for the lower ratios...or the lower ring and pinions to bolt to them...I just know that is the cutoff point

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Apr 24, 2006, 8:33am

Porkchop, I also looked into this. I found through one of the popular gear houses that the only other ratio for our axles is the 4.56-1 ratio. I believe it is because of the rear axle, the Dana 70. The rear axle also needs to have the yolk swapped, most likly do to the spline count on the pinion gear. The company I talked to gave me a price of about $490.00 for the two gear sets and the rear yolk. I looked at the calculator chart on Randy ring and pinion web site and felt that the new ratio would be a lot kinder to the drive train. Then after further thought, I changed my mind, for a few reasons. The brakes have no self adjusters, the shoes are getting more expensive and harder to find, the Drums, I dont know of any replacements. I just felt that was too much time and money to invest into those axles. If I was going to regear I would do it to a newer axle that has parts available at most auto stores, ie brake shoes, disc pads, rotors drums, axle shafts. Good luck

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 24, 2006, 8:36am

PC,
    One of the gear places, Randy's, Reiders, at one time sold the carrier needed to go below the 4.56 ratio. I do not know this for a fact, just what I remember others writting about. I do remember also that this was one of those times when cost gets you real close to finding replacement axles. Especially if you consider the higher speeds the new gears will give you and stopping from them.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Apr 24, 2006, 8:48am

Thanks for all the input, gents. The $500 to regear is a lot less than the $2000 needed for new axles. Plus there is a lot more time involved with the axle swap. 4.56s will work also, just wanted a little less RPMs at speed with the 292. With the power brakes, stopping is not a problem.

I may have a brake drum/adjuster fix, but you will have to stand by for that one...