Thread: bigmech : Tires xl's

Default bigmech : Tires xl's

Tires xl's
    Post by bigmech on Apr 17, 2006, 6:13pm

I purchased some xl's on LAV rims. Will these tires provide the correct tubes and flaps for my M715? Will most tire stores freak out when I show up with theses type of rims, and where should I take them ?

Default robo :

Re: Tires xl's
    Post by robo on Apr 17, 2006, 8:21pm

LAV radials are tubeless w/rubber (older had magnesium) run flats -I'm presuming that's what you've got b/c that's what I've got. You'll need to find a truck shop that handles big rig & utility tractor wheels - I don't think a regular tire shop can help you. Most of the regular shops around here have high school kids changing the tires and couldn't even tell you what a split rim is.

Someone posted some d**n good pics on how to disassemble these wheels using a homemade angle iron cross pieces and engine hoist. Anyone still have those pics?

I myself an still trying to figure out how to dissemble them w/o 1/2 day's effort and a missing limb. I'm about ready to take a torch or grinding wheel and cut the rim in 1/2 right up the middle!

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 17, 2006, 9:28pm

Both myself and DP posted threads with pictures on how to break them down and pull the run flats out. I am at home on dial up right now. It would take me over an hour to get all the pictures up and posted. I can do it from work in about 5 minutes tomorrow, so that is when it will be done.

By the way, once you build the compressor set up, you should be able to do a tire in about 15 minutes.

Default kaiser715 :

Post by kaiser715 on Apr 17, 2006, 9:59pm

WARNING AND DISCLAIMER:

Before even thinking about doing this job, use a valve core tool to remove the valve core from each tire assembly. Wait until each tire is completely empty. Check it. Check it again. Air pressure behind the flange is what makes split rims fly apart. You don't want blood all over the inside of your shop, and it will be hard to do the rest of the tires one-armed. If you get lucky, you will bust your head open and not feel the pain. Leave out a couple of barf bags incase a new on the job paramedic hasn't seen a busted-wide open gourd with brains dripping out of it. Remember, if you hurt yourself doing this it's your own darn fault.

here is the tool:

the tool is pretty heavy, more than required, but I had a bunch of 3x3x1/4 cutoffs as scrap.

the first tire I did with a ratchet, to go slow and easy, after that used air wrench, and it went pretty fast. those 2 straps that cross on the bottom side of the wheel are just 1/4" flat, with a nut welded to either end so they won't rotate and you don't have to put a wrench on the bottom side.

you have to mash the flange down about 1/4 to 3/8 inch, then the lock ring easily prys out:

after lockring is off, lift off the flange. they are to the left in this picture. Then you remove the gasket, you can see it partially lifted here. Start it up with a screwdriver, then it just pulls off:

then you used a sledge to beat the rim out of the tire (it sticks on the runflat). I mixed some dish soap with water in a squirt bottle and wet it down before driving it apart.

here you see the runflat in the tire. It is about 40# of solid rubber.

to remove the runflat, I used a ratchet strap to depress it, then sawzalled thru it, wrapped a strap around it, lifted on one cut end with the chainfall while I kept a foot on the tire, and it snaked out.

Somebody else posted a pic of using an engine hoist on an uncut runflat, with the XL up under the legs of the engine hoist. Looked to be faster and easier than the way I did it.

If anybody around NC needs to use my flange compressor, we can work it out.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 18, 2006, 8:44am

That was me that used an engine hoist to pull out the run flat.

Here is how I set it up with a chain snaked around the run flat and the hoist on top.

The run flat is basically a big rubber band. Go slow on it or it will sling shot you and the hoist across the yard.

Here it is all pulled out. I think the darn thing weighed 62 pounds if I remember right.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Apr 18, 2006, 9:23am

When Oilcan and I did it, the run flat just slid out. Granted we used a plentiful amount of the WD-40.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 18, 2006, 11:28am

I have made this tech into a tech page that will go in the Online Manuals....THANKS GUYS!!