starting my truck
Post by kaiser715 on Apr 6, 2006, 1:50pm

went to crank my truck last night. I'm finally working on it again, to get it ready for FE06.

Basics: 1977 Chevy 350, quadrajet, HEI

last cranked about 4 months ago. you may remember the story about the tailpipe full of birdseed.

changed out gas to fresh. emptied out the spin-on water-separting fuel filter (less than 1 qt capacity)

nothing has been messed with as far as timing, wiring, etc

gave it a shot of ether to get it to fire off and prime quicker...no real fire. Poured fresh gas down carb, and a bunch of turning over, it would fire about 3 times then go back to cranking.

pulled plug, grounded to motor, cranked over....white/yellow spark seemed OK. not a like a flashbulb, but easily visible.

topped off with charger, subsequent starting was tried with charger on 40amp fast charge.

ran 12ga wire direct from HEI to battery, no change

more gas down carb...do more of the same, crank over, about 3 fires, then just cranking with no more fire

held open throttle plate with screwdriver, to be sure breathing, no change. tried with choke closed.

friend checked exhaust pipes while I cranked, have pressure, so it's pumping air, not like stuck valves, etc

no backfiring thru carb

almost acts like the timing is way off, but again, it hasn't been messed with

IDEAS?????

I'm thinking

....pull the HEI cap tonight and check for corrosion etc

....maybe find TDC and see if dist is close enough on #1

....replace the coil (HEI on the cap)

....????