Thread: New Guy would like some info

Default New Guy would like some info

Hello Fellas
    My name is Jerry I am an OD Junky and I think this os my first post on your site.
    As a lot of us I have lurked around hear for a while and I recognize some of your names from steel soldiers. The SS site has helped me with my M35A2 on many issues.
    I am in the process of paying off a nice 67 M715 and am getting the stuff together to do a frame off restoration on this one so there will be a lot of dumb questions to follow.

Does anyone have some pics they can send me of what a nice stock motor should look like colors wiring routes ect.

when I go to say Napa or Kragen auto and ask for parts for a 230 tornado most parts like the Fuel pump,oil pump, water pump and gaskets should be the same as the civy mod with the exeption of the Distributor, alt and starter is this correct?

What was the exact mod of the civy version as I see there were several

Well thanks in advance as I am sure there will be more.
    Thanks again Jerry
    E mail is
    jmvanderhamplumbing@yahoo.com

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Welcome!

There is a lot of info you are asking for, and a search or post for some of the specifics may be in order.

I'm sure someone can post up shortly with pics of theor engine bay.

230 Civvy parts are pretty much different, so not much will interchange, if you want to keep it stock. The mil distributor, fuel pump and carb are all different, as is the water pump too. Most of that stuff you'll end up sourcing from the surplus dealers or other members here on the board.

The M715 is "sort of" a Gladiator, but with a different bed, frame, engine, transfer case, and axles and wheel bolt pattern.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The civvy fuel pump that is available at auto parts stores does NOT have the vacuum pump part...so if you have vacuum wipers, you would need to convert to electric.

Oil pumps would be the same but they are no longer available some one posted earlier this year.

Water pumps are very different.

Distributors are different but interchange is possible...the civvy unit is 12 volt with vacuum advance that the mil engine doesnt have...though if the advance unit is bad, those are no longer available and one would need to modify some other unit to fit the housing to get that part to work...also an external coil would need to be added as the mil unit has both the distibutor and coil in a common housing called an "ignitor".

Alternators dont interchange without modifing the mounts...

Starters will physically interchange though the voltage is different...duh!

Pretty much everything above the head gasket except the head itself and the fuel pump interchanges...valves, valve seals, cams, cam decks, valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds (even the 2 bbl manifolds). The head gasket and the head casting do not interchange.

On the front, not the water pump or timing cover but the timing chain and tensioner do.
    Balancer, not sure...

Crank does not interchange...different front seal, different pilot bushing...other things too...rods and pistons are swappable as is the oil pan.

Radiator, no....bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate, yes.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Welcome to the madness, Junky!
    -- Tim Taylor

Welcome...I have LOTS of used parts and take-off stuff if you need anything.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Thanks Fellas
    When I get her home and start to pull it apart I am sure there will be a ton of questions and parts needed.
    Take care Jerry