Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FORD 300 6cyl Question

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to start checking for a Ford bellhousing, clutch parts and T-18. I might be asking you some more questions when I get most of the parts together because this will be my first engine swap.

Joel,

One thing I forgot which is probably the biggest headache is trouble hooking up the radiator.

In relation to the crankshaft centerline, the 300 is designed for a lower mounted radiator and the water pump inlet is very low on the engine. I would need a very tight 90 degree radiator hose to make the connection - probably easy to get if I looked hard enough. But to compound matters, I'm using an alternator mount that puts the fan belt right in the center of where the hose needs to go. I had to build a snaky thing that looks like a rudimentary sink drain trap to get around the fan belt.

Apparently though Econolines had an alt. mount that puts it up high on the driver's side and that's what I'll be looking for to clean up my engine.

Wait, theres more - The water pump is mounted so low compared to the 230 that you would only have room for a 12 or 13" fan so plan on an electric fan.

At 100 degrees air temp on the freeway, I'm pushing the limits of the stock radiator too. High rpms and a small radiator aren't real good together. Hopefully I'll get a larger rad. in there before FE.

Nothing too outrageous for a full-on engine swap though.

Chris

Chris: I'll say again that Summit has aluminum deals for $180. Spicer is happy w/his.

Also, van stuff is almost all up high and out of the way. Either that or stuffed on the bottom LOL. Chevy seems to have moved their van stuff up high on the v8's where Ford seems to have doen the opposite. Not sure about the 6cyl. though. Good luck, should work out fine.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Tacoma,

I'll probably look into the Summit deal, I remember him talking about it. First I'm going to see what the radiator shop suggests though. Totally off topic, how do Al radiators hold up compared to standard brass ones as far as flexing in a 4x4? I'm a bit concerned that the Summit ones aren't built to take the off road abuse.

Chris

they used to be advertised in teh circle track section before they ditched it, so I'd guess fine. As always, the mounts are key. I think they come w/big rubber bushings. Lot's of guys here running them in their rockpigs, either rubber mounted in trucks or rigid in tube frames. Seem to be holding up ok? Not a definitive answer by any means, but I think they'll be ok.
    **I heart Bump_r **

LuckyPabst,

You are talking about the stock radiator right? Would you suggest a pusher fan instead of a puller?

Was your alternator mount stock? It is mounted low, but I will have to take a look at the engine again to see how low it is. I am getting the complete engine minus the power stearing pump and bracket. It also has an A/C compressor which I planned on keeping and converting to an air compressor. I could look and maybe I could relocate the alternator to the A/C compressor's location. The A/C compressor is up high on the engine. Maybe I could get lucky and not have to modify the mount.

Yea, stock radiator. I'm running a pusher and it's marginal when you need it most like running in sand or 'wheeling in the heat. I've heard that pullers are more efficient but I didn't have enough room between the radiator and water pump to mount the fan there. You could most likely find a thinner fan. Of course the fan won't make a lot of difference at freeway speeds, this is why I'm thinking about a new radiator.

The alternator mount is stock, mounted low on the passenger side. If anything, a van mount will fix it I think. I'm hoping the 4 bosses on the drivers side are for an A/C-alternator mount. That would kill two birds by putting the alt out of the way and providing a pump for onboard air.

Chris

Default Cummins Owners

The A/C compressor is mounted on the driver side so that is probably what they are for.