Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin MV law

Default Wisconsin MV law

As many of you know the state here is trying to ban all mil vehicles from being driven. I received an email from the people that have been working with the state for months to try and come up with a law that would work for both sides...this is what they are proposing and what they believe will pass:

Oct 23, 2009
    To all Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle Owners,
    The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT) continues to hold the
    position that “non standard vehicles” are for non road use and are prohibited
    from being registered (licensed) by current law in Wisconsin.
    The DOT includes our privately owned former military vehicles in the same
    category as motorized scooters, pocket bikes, gators & commercial
    mechanical mules, lawn tractors, ‘medium-speed vehicles’, mini-bikes, Barbie
    cars, go-karts, golf carts, race cars, Japanese mini-trucks. And yes,
    motorized bar stools are in the same category with former military vehicles.
    Acting on your behalf we have worked to represent your HMV interest with
    the legislature and the DOT since 2007 to create a solution that will allow
    military vehicle owners in Wisconsin to continue to register them for
    highway use. We have listened, lobbied, argued this issue from every angle.
    Our contacts in Rep Ted Zigmunt’s office and Majority leader Nelson’s
    office were in the process of releasing our proposal.
    Yesterday, Oct 22, 2009 Senator Jon Erpenbach circulated a different
    proposal to legislators for a bill to allow military vehicles to be registered.
    THIS IS NOT THE BILL WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR HMV
    COLLECTORS. The Erpenbach bill is being offered on behalf of a Pinzgauer
    vehicle owner without input from other MV collectors or the DOT.
    Our bill, proposed thru Rep Zigmunt’s office will allow former military
    vehicles to be registered by creating a new law that will create a new
    category of Historic Military Vehicles with a new license plate to identify
    them. The law is intended to allow historic vehicles to be owned and
    operated WITH RESTRICTIONS similar to current WI antique plates.
    Unrestricted use of former military vehicles will not be an option in the
    future.
    The proposed Zigmunt bill has been drafted and reviewed and is ready to be
    introduced to the legislature’s transportation committee and will be
    circulated among legislators for co sponsorship. After sponsorship there will
    be a public hearing. And then to a vote in the legislature.
    We intended that the bill summary would be sent to each MV club before it
    was circulated in the legislature. Now that a competing bill is being
    circulated that does not represent all of your HMV interests, we need to
    accelerate the process and get our proposal out in front.
    The legislative summary of the Zigmunt bill is attached. The entire bill is 6
    pages of legal description so let me highlight the points to make it easy.
    1) Zigmunt HMV bill will create a new category of “Historic Military
    Vehicles” in Wisconsin
    2) This is for ANY age HMV. Not just post 1968 as discussed previously.
    WWII, Korean, Vietnam and Desert Storm era vehicles are all
    included.
    3) New distinctive HMV license plate will be issued.
    4) HMV will be the ONLY option to license and operate a former Military
    vehicle on road in WI. If it was military, this is your only option.
    5) HMV law will restrict operation to public displays, parades and special
    events plus driving to and from events, normal testing, maintenance
    and storage.
    6) Any former military vehicle – regardless of size or weight is allowed,
    except that:
    a. Foreign military vehicles imported to US must be 25 years old.
    This is to Connect with Federal requirements.
    b. US built military vehicle – any age (keeps it simple – doesn’t
    matter what year the SF97 or your incorrect title says it is)
    i. Owner must show evidence with application it is US built
    –TM photo or reference book illustration and photo of
    your truck.
    ii. We will have opportunity to help design the DMV
    application forms for they are easy to understand and
    complete
    c. No tracked vehicles allowed on the road. That includes WWII
    halftracks. (Sorry well lost that one)
    d. Military motorcycles included.
    e. Trailers included
    7) Must be maintained in an original military configuration, color and
    markings.
    8) Municipal governments may continue to register former MV’s for local
    government use. (DOT considers this limited use)
    9) Vehicles currently registered under collector or other registration
    will require owner to apply for new plate. No charge for new plate.
    DMV will not send notice. Estimated one year for HMV owners to
    change over without getting a ticket.
    10)The fee for new registrations will be $30. Registration does not
    expire.
    We and the DOT know that many former military vehicles have been
    registered in the past with all sorts of inconsistent, correct and incorrect
    descriptions. The State of Wisconsin wants to clean up the registration
    problems we have all encountered in the past and make the registration
    process simple in the future.
    This Zigmunt draft bill could be introduced in the current legislative session.
    New plates could be available next summer.
    I believe this is a good solution for us as HMV collectors. This bill provides
    collectors about the same use as we operate under today and at a lower cost
    and for any age US vehicle. And it solves the “what is it” issue with the
    State of Wisconsin.
    We will notify everyone when the Zigmunt bill is circulated in the next few
    days. At that point everyone can start calling their representatives to
    sponsor and support our HMV bill. We must be clear that we want the
    Zigmunt bill and NOT the Erpenbach bill. Please help get this information to
    all your club members and HMV owners.
    Working on behalf of all Wisconsin HMV owners,
    I find it far too restrictive...better than nothing? Maybe, but if I want to drive and use my truck as a heavy duty pickup to haul stuff, etc, forget it...not possible...might as well be trailer queen in my book...

I cant say I support it but if it is the only way the state will allow any use of mil vehicles, it might be a necessary evil....a really nasty one.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Heres the actual bill:

Zigmunt Bill Oct 22, 2009
    (Extracted from the Proposal)
    AN ACT to amend 25.40 (1) (a) 3., 84.59 (2) (b), 341.10 (6), 341.27 (1) and 347.02
    (5); and to create 341.14 (4u) and 341.269 of the statutes relating to:
    registration of former military vehicles.

Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
    Under current law, an owner of a motor vehicle that is of model year 1945 or
    earlier may register the vehicle as an antique vehicle. Antique vehicles may be
    driven only for special occasions such as display and parade purposes or for
    necessary testing, maintenance, and storage purposes. Also under current law, the
    Department of Transportation (DOT) must refuse registration of any vehicle that is
    originally designed and manufactured for off- highway operation unless the vehicle
    meets certain federal motor vehicle safety standards.
    This bill allows former military vehicles to be registered in a manner similar
    to antique vehicles, with similar operating restrictions. The bill defines a former
    military vehicle as a vehicle, including a trailer but excluding a tracked vehicle, that
    was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to
    accurately represent its military design and markings, gardless of the vehicle’s
    size or weight. A former military vehicle may be registered as a “historic military
    vehicle” if it is at least 25 years old and has been imported into the United States from
    another country or if it has not been imported and is of any age. It is the applicant’s
    burden to show that a vehicle is eligible for registration as a historic military vehicle.
    DOT must issue for the vehicle special plates of a distinctive design that show that
    the vehicle is registered as a historic military vehic . The applicant must pay a
    one- time $5 registration fee and there is no fee for registration renewal. In addition,
    if the vehicle is not currently registered by DOT under another registration category,
    the applicant must pay a $25 processing fee, to cover the initial costs of production
    of special plates, until DOT has recovered $11,800 for its costs of plate development.
    The bill allows DOT to register a former military vehicle as a historic military
    vehicle, or as a municipal or county vehicle operated vice, even if the
    vehicle was originally designed and manufactured for off- highway operation and
    does not meet federal motor vehicle safety standards.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Reading that, I really suspect there is someone in Madison who doesn't like MV's plain and simple. Otherwise, I can't see any logic in their thinking.

The real clincher to that is the argument that MV's fall in the same category as pocket bikes and Mules'. That's pretty much apples and oranges in my opinion. Not to mention the same restriction on military motorcycles. A military motorcycle is almost identical to a civilian model with the exception (in a few cases) of the blackout lighting. And they aren't regulated by the same FMVSS like a car or truck. At least not until the last couple years anyway.

Ultimately, you could go out and build a chopper from a kit that is neither inspected by a government regulator, nor deemed safe for street use, and be able to register and use it freely, but not a purpose built MV? Makes zero sense to me and still leads me back to the conclusion there is someone there with a personal axe to grind with MV owners.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Previous concerns voiced to me by state and federal entities were mainly regarding malicious use. Example: I was told they were worried some nut/terrorist would make a gigantic car bomb using a 2.5 or 5-ton truck and drive it into a stadium. They see the size and toughness as too much for any local law agencies to handle. One of the situations they mentioned was the guy in LA who took a tank on a suicide run. The video was all over the news a few years ago. He wreaked havoc, demolishing cars, buildings, police vehicles, etc., until the cops shot and killed him.
    As we usually see, the Government's approach is to make every one suffer(through over-reactive post-incident enforcements with very limited efficaicy) for the transgressions of a few.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

The Wiscaonsin bill is not quite as bad as it sounds,although not good ,it could be worse. Jeff Rowsan ,the man working on the bill gave an update on it at last weekend at the Red Arrow's winter meeting in Spooner .
    Several things about the bill,you will be allowed to "exercise" your vehicle,they convinced the lawmakers that the vehicles need to operated regularly to keep things working, also the reason for the new MV license is they can keep track of what is happening with them. With a license seperate from other collector vehicles there safety record can be followed ,as it stood they had no way to know what type of collector vehicles had good or bad records. Also the bill will looked at in two years and at that time if there are not a lot of problems it's possible to have some of the restrictions removed. Without this bill being passed they would have been able to not allow them on the road at all. There is a law over forty years old that will not allow offroad vehicles on the road at all ,and they were classifying MV's as offroad vehicles. The Wis DOT admitted that the laws governing MV's and collector cars was a mess ,and something needed to be done. So all Wisconsin MVers write or call your represenatives.

Brute , are you on Jeff's email list? If not I can forward the ones I got from him.
    DaveJ

I thought I was but I am not getting them...

Appreciate the forwards AND the info you just posted...THANKS!!!!!!

Thanks for the link John!!

The latest from Jeff Rowsam 2/24/ 2010

Earlier today, the Wisconsin legislature's assembly chamber in full session acted on bill proposal AB592 to change the state statutes to allow Historic Military Vehicles to be registered and operated in Wisconsin.

The assembly passed the bill on a unanimous voice vote. The bill was immediately sent to the Senate were it was taken up and was passed on unanimous vote. No legislators spoke against the bill.

The measure will now go to the Governor where he is expected to sign it into law in the next few weeks.

There will be more to do in the future. We remain committed to continue to expand the statute provisions in the future as Wisconsin MV owners demonstrate the safe operation of our MV's. WE consider this "A good start".

Remember we did not give up anything. The Wisconsin DOT was able to use an existing state law to deny or cancel MV registrations. They have and they did. Our bill that passed today creates needed protection for all wheeled MV's.

THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FROM WISCONSIN WHO TOOK THE TIME TO GET INVOLVED AND LOBBY YOUR LEGISLATORS.

Jeff Rowsam

5432 South County Road P

Denmark, WI. USA 54208

Home # 920 863 8656

Cell # 920 562 5776

©1997-2005 Openwave Systems Inc. All rights reserved.
    DaveJ

It isnt perfect and it isnt over BUT it IS better than the crap they tried to stuff us with without any due process.

Remaining vigilant on this IS a must...and you guys in other states...ya never know...