Thread: a few questions about an ole truck

Default a few questions about an ole truck

hello my name is sam and i have an fsj addiction. ok now i said it lol my latest accusition is a 68 m715.
    just courious if this is a factory back glass ive seen a few in person but all of them had the canvis tops.

thanks sam

Sam, Someone has put a rear window out of another pickup in that top. I would guess that the hard top is also home made.

Welcome!
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

thanks doug that is a shocker on the cab part though. heres a side shot is it a fabbed cab?

The cab itself actually looks to be correct. Your top is not however. Then there is the entire rear of the bed sides and the back plate/trailer hitch/wrecker hook up thing.

Could be a fun project.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

thanks again for the info and barrman your right about the wrecker hook up thing it was a wrecker at one time. the plate on the rear is 1 inch thick guess he didnt want any dings.

If you look at the rear corners of the top, there should be two bolts at each corner holding the top on. Another bolt on each side just above your fixed door glass holding the top to the windshield. A stock top frame only has those 6 connections. My truck had a forsest service hard top when I got it and also had 146 rivets holding the top on. Spending the time to drill them out was worth it once I was able to lay the windshield down and drive around topless.

Oh, the fixed door glass really isn't. 3 screws hold that in and it will slide right out. Look at the rear of the tub and you will see 8 footman loops arranged 4 behind each seat. Those are there to hold the door glass with canvas straps.

Having the top removable lets you go from this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

To this in about 20 minutes:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Of course, you can also stop half way in between too:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I couldn't find any other pictures of my bikinni top here at work.

Of course, a real canvas top with the frame lets you do all the above even faster.
    Last edited by Barrman; October 30th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

thanks for the great info