Thread: Buick 350 swap

I pulled the ole 230 motor last night, actually I should say the new 230 as I just rebuilt it. I will pull the buick 350 motor out of my 69 j-3000 soon and start prepping it for the swap. Does anyone know If or what adapters I might need for the buick 350 to t98 trans and has anyone done this yet. I might have a 230 for sale, have receipts for all new parts and some civilian 230 parts like 2 barrel intake and carb, and civilian distributor. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Fisherman

If you get lucky all you'll need is a Buick350/t98 bellhousing. That's a good swap, and TA Performance has tons of (pricey) parts for the Buick 350. I"m going to use a Buick 455 for all that sweet torque.

I'm not sure if Jeep used the t98 w/the Buick v6 in the late 60's, if they did you might be able to nab a bellhousing out of a Commando or Jeepster or even a CJ. Good luck, let us know what you find.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Fisherman, Where are you located ??? I may be interested in that 230. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

I am located just outside of Snohomish Washington, the 230 has 4 new pistons, all new bearings and seals, the Crank was done, the head was done. New oil pump, new fuel pump, all new belts, hoses, new military plug wires, rebuilt original holley and air cleaner. Rebuilt clutch pieces, rebuilt starter. Alternator original 24 volt works fine. The motor has less than 12 hours run time. I was having trouble with a couple rings not seating, they should be checked. Otherwise I have all receipts and know how much I have into it. Everything is new. I 'm not sure what it would be worth. E-mail Toddandlara@juno.com. I will post engine on for sale board, any more 350 info would be appreciated.

Tacoma, what transmission and transfer case are you going to use? If a manual trans where did you get you're bellhousing? I think the 455 is the same size motor as my 350 buick? I have the factory turbo 400 behind the buick 350. I wan't to try to keep the t98 and 200 t-case. I think it would be relatively easy to go hydraulic clutch linkage. Let me know. Thanks Fisherman

Fisherman, there is a good Jeep guy up in Snohomish name of John Meister, if you see him tell him I sent ya.

I'm going to use the factory TH400, as I love them. For an auto they hold up pretty good, and you can turn them into TH475's pretty easy too. My 725's drivetrain was swapped out long ago, and I sold the t-case, to make sure I HAD to put somethign else in. Hydro linkage is pretty easy, and don't forget that weird chain thing AA is selling too.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Got a buick 350 and two 455's in the shop. The 455 is definately longer than the 350.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

wider too. It's a BIG motor. The 350 block sitting next to it looks puny.
    **I heart Bump_r **