Thread: Gas tanks

Default Gas tanks

I'm still playing around with the idea of 2 tanks. I was just looking at Drew's site because I'm thinking about adding EFI to my 460 and ran across his article about adding a 39 gallon bronco tank between the rear cross members. I also saw this done on 40 Grit's truck and it fits really well.
    Anyway, 2 questions:
    1. With the Ford in-tank pumps you can use a simple toggle switch to chose which tank to get fuel from - can this be wired to flip the gas gauge easily? Or am I better off running 2 gas gauges? I have the room in my modified gauge panel - just kills off the clock.
    2. If I ran a metal line between the bed and the frame from this second tank to the stock filler (with some kind of adapter) would I be able to fill both tanks that way? Or am I better off running 2 smaller lines up inside the stock rubber hose (one for each tank but unseen with the cap on)?
    Thanks for the help

Ron

For filling the tanks, I think a stock filler reversed on the backside of the rear flare looks best.

I used a pair of saddle tanks from a 74 chevy step side. They fit between the cross members and look stock. Then used all the stock chevy wiring harness and tank selector. I had all of this from a truck that i parted out. The only thing i had to buy was a sending unit that matched the stewart warner gas guage I am using. They are not that big, together i only have 30 gallons but it was cheap and worked for me.
    M715,s..are a mans jeep...

Thought about using saddle tanks but when I've had them in the past I always hated pulling around to fill the other tank - lazy I guess. Plus what I want is a lot of range. I have a 460ci Ford motor with a non-OD automatic transmission so gas mileage isn't anything to brag about - even for a MV lol
    I'm thinking about the FE next year if I get my truck back together and not wanting to stop every other exit for gas. With about 70 gallons on board I figure that it should go as far as the 10gal tank in my micro car Maybe. lol