Thread: Another Problem, Wont Start

Default Another Problem, Wont Start

Another problem...
    I went out to drive the 715 to work this morning and it barely turned over. I have two new interstate batteries, 6 months ago. Have not had this problem until I installed the heater.

I hooked the power to the "switch board" under the hood. The blower will run with the ignition switch off. I let the jeep run 30 min in my driveway. I then shut it off and when inside last night. When out this morning and turned over 4 times and dead.

Did I hook the power up in the wrong place? Should not drain if the blower switch is off?

What should I check?

I hope it is not the generator....

HELP
    1968 M715
    1952 M38

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

First of all, charge the batteries back up to full capacity.

Then, disconnect the negative battery cable with the main switch turned off, and everything switched off that you can. Using a 24V bulb, hook it between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. If there is anything drawing any current, the bulb will light. Dimly if its a small draw, and brighter the more load there is.

This will eliminate any wiring issues. After that, a check of the charging system may be in order.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnwmsu View Post
    I hooked the power to the "switch board" under the hood. HELP
    Not sure what you mean by "switch board" but if you tied to wire #85, which is where the heater and other accessories usually go, it is "hot" all the time. It is not switched off with the ignition.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "switch board" but if you tied to wire #85, which is where the heater and other accessories usually go, it is "hot" all the time. It is not switched off with the ignition.
    By switch board I mean the box on the firewall near the master cylinder

When you guys shut your jeeps off do you turn the switch off that runs the turn signals and blinkers?

I have been leaving it on lately. Most of the time I am just running around town, short trips. Could it be that the batteries are not getting a full charge?

I pull started it today and let it run for an hour. It seemed to be charging from what the amp gauge was showing.

I shut everything off and will try it again tomorrow.
    1968 M715
    1952 M38

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

On a stock truck, there is only one switch that turns everything off and on and that is the lever switch on the dash.

The three lever switch handles all the lights in their various configurations, but anything other than the off position will at least keep the lights in the dash on and deaden the battery sooner or later. Almost all three lever switches in the "stop" position will also illuminate the dash lighting.

It really shouldn't matter where you connected the heater motor to, just so long as you didn't leave it running when you walked away from the truck.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The 'switch board' you mention is actually the flasher unit for the turn sigs, you shouldnt hook anything else there. Under the dash near the column area is an extra wire not conn. to anytrhing that will be the 85 wire rboltz mentioned, that is the feed for a heater fan.
    The power to the gauges and igntion is thru the igntion switch, the lights work thru the 3 lever switch reguardless of the ign. switch position.
    By the way,the dash lights should only be on if the lower left lever is in the dash hi or low position, unless there is a problem in the switch or wiring.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Although this isn't the right fix-all for any current draws from unknown places, I have installed a battery disconnect switch at the battery, so no juice comes out of the batteries with this cut-out.

Scott

The cut off is a GOOD idea...I have one as do many others...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The cut off is a GOOD idea...I have one as do many others...
    It has saved my butt many times! I am in the habit of flipping the cutoff everytime I exit the truck.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era