Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Jungle Rot

And painted. I opted for flat black on the frame.

Also on the list that came in was bend tech pro software. 1.75 x .120 wall DOM. The leaf springs for the front got add a leafs. All four leaf springs were painted and new bushings installed. Heater came in.

I didnt figure I would post all the small stuff like leaf spring bushing installations, etc. Pretty much, if its not new when going back together, its getting replaced. I dont want to have something wear out or break. Id rather take my time and enjoy it longer later.

Currently, I am measuring for an intercooler and radiator. The stock Dodnge cummins intercooler for the 94-98 is too wide. It looks like a 3rd gen 03-07 intercooler will work.

Default Motor tear down!

Here is the victim

I started by stripping the fuel lines so I could get the head off. I was anxious to see what the inside was like since I didnt own the truck and motor its whole life.....you never know.
    So the head came off and other than some coolant not ever being changed, looked good so far.

After seeing there were no cracks or hotspots in the head gasket or the head, I was encouraged.
    Here is a cylinder wall

No ridges or rough spots!

Next was the timing cover. I needed to tab the KDP (killer dowel pin). These can walk out of their hole and ruin a motor when the tab gets caught in the front geartrain. I have never seen one even close.......

More than halfway out I got lucky on this one. Had I kept the truck runing around a little while longer, it would have been catastrophic.
    So I punched it back in

And tabbed it

Next was the head disassemby. I needed to get the valves out as the head is getting o ringed to handle the extra boost. After about 45-50 psi, headbolt are a must (which I have) and oringing the head starts comming into play. I have it down this far, so Im going to do it right.
    My friend made a Cummins head rotissarie....made stripping the head bare a breeze. Took maybe 15 minutes.

New valve seals will be going in. I have heavier valve springs for the 4k governor springs that are installed in the injection pump. After 3k rpms, the stock valve springs cant keep the valves from slapping the pistons and or floating.

After looking at the valves themselves, it was more good news. There was no pitting or corrosion on the seating surface

The head is off to be oringed. I have the components to finish hanging the front suspension. Hopefully that will be done this weekend.

I have to split my doubler and change an input. Then its time to fire up the tube bender and make a cradle for the doubler and transmission

Awesome! I love seeing build pics.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

Very nice build!!!

What year ram did you get the cummins from?
    M715 Dreamer.

Motor is from a 95 dodge. I have a soft spot in my heart for the p7100 or p pumped 6Bs (94-98).