Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow - Shelter is on!

Default Wow - Shelter is on!

Tonight we lifted the AN/GRC-142 communications shelter on the truck. Both the guy who lifted it with his crane and me were really surprised when the truck did not squat more then 1/2". That shelter with all the gear is just over 1,800 lbs and the 715 did not even groan. Amazing! I forgot, after being in the signal corp 40 years ago, that those trucks could really carry the load. Pictures later!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I want to see a pic or 2. No surprise about the spring movement. It takes 3-4000 lbs to really get the springs to move. 2000 lbs is a smooth ride.

Rear springs are rated at 715 lbs/inch and the fronts are rated at 515 lbs/inch...so if the weight ONLY affected the rear springs, it would take 1430 lbs to equal 1 inch of deflection...equally over the whole truck, it would take 2460 pounds to lower the front and rear springs one inch...

Pretty rowdy!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My shelter is empty, (800 lbs) and when I loaded it, the truck never even knew it was back there until I got up to around 45 MPH........then the wind build up in front of it pushed the back of the canvas top inward quite a bit!

You also don't realize how tall the shelter is until its sitting in the back of the truck, almost 4 feet off the ground.

Get ready to be asked if its an ambulance too. I got that more than a couple times when I stopped around the area.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Mind me asking what you paid for your shelter? A local guy is selling two, asking 500 each... I'm thinking of doing a camper conversion type deal... for a dream of a cross country trip...

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    Mind me asking what you paid for your shelter? A local guy is selling two, asking 500 each... I'm thinking of doing a camper conversion type deal... for a dream of a cross country trip...
    Mine is not empty so cost was higher. It is a fully operational radio teletype station. Full of racks and gear. Empties are in the range you mentioned.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    $500 isn't a bad price at all if they are non-leaking, solid shelters. I paid $350 for mine last year, but I had to travel about 3 hours to get it, so with the fuel costs it was about the same.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Cool. The guy is right in my back yard, literally. I actually park in his driveway because it's on the same side of the house as my entrance. He's the one who sold me my 63 ammo trailer (m332). I might have to see if he'll haggle a little

Pics?? Pics??

Oi! Make with the pics aready!

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    Oi! Make with the pics aready!

Zach
    Agreed!