Thread: pioneer tools

Default pioneer tools

where can i find the pioneer tools for my 715

E-bay, or your local hardware store. The shovel seems to be the hardest as the ones you can find seem to be a few inches too long - but it is fairly simple to remove the handle, cut the shaft down & re-attach.

I got mine at a military vehicle show for $140 for all. I took them to a old-school hardware store here in town and compared them to what's in stock. The shovel indeed is like 3 inches too long on the store shelf. One could remove the rivets and turn down the wood shaft to fit and re-rivet. I believe this is what the dealer did with mine. The other two tools were on the shelf.

Scott

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

For a shovel I cut one down from the hardware store. For the mattox, I found a head at a surplus store and then used a hardware store handle. The axe is a fire axe, which isn't original, but it fit the same and is a bit more functional. All of it got a shot of O.D. and it looks like original stuff. I also picked up a bunch of web strap and buckles at the same surplus store to secure everything.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I actually just pieced together a set of pioneer tools last week. Axe and mattock came from Sutherlands Lumber for about $50. They both fit very well. The shovel came from Wally World and it required about 2" of shortening. Accidentally bought a shovel that is Made in China. Didn't realize it until it was shortened and painted. Oops. Surplus City Jeep Parts sells a set of pioneer tool straps for $25. Hope this helps. John
    1967 M715