Thread: cam removal

Default cam removal

hi to all , i know what i am looking for but can't seem to find it. can someone tell me where to find instructions on how to loosen cam chain tensioner. or what i need to do to remove the cam. my 715 has 14k on the odo and has been setting for no telling how long and has developed condensation and rust in the top end . i'm going to try to salvage what i can and replace the rest but before i can do any thing i need to know how to get at it with out causing any damage to anything else. thanks

The -30 maintenance manual, Chapter 3, Section 1 shows the removal the the top pulley with the factory tool...members have made homemade tools to do this...once the pulley is off with the chain, mark the chain and pulley at a certain point for reassembly...then remove the pulley. You can take the cam out now.

Oh...you gotta pull the fuel pump too.

I remember ne member used an engine hoist and chain to get a hold of the pulley and lift it slightly before removing the bolt...if you dont have it supported, it will pop off the cam and probably lose your chain position because the chain may pop off the gear...run a chain through the holes in the cm gear andhook to a hoist...if you dont have a better solution.

One thing to do as long as you are in there...the cam deck...the thing that bolts to the head with te cam bearings in it...is held on by 3 nuts tht are on 3 studs...these are offset to the passener side of the had...I have seen these get loose on occasion...usually 1 only but still...only time you can get at them to tighten or check tightness is with the cam and rockers out.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

thank you sir , but what if i want to go a step further and remove the cam deck. am i going to have to replace the head gasket because of the removal of the other head bolts ?

I had to look...I dont remember taking the head bolts out but there is no way to do it without...so I must have. I know I didnt take off the head or change the head gasket...

It is actually a very good idea to remove it while you are in there and clean the sludge trap underneath out and the tube on the bottom of it too...and those tiny little holes in the cam bearings to provide oil to the cam...its an odd design and this is one of the weak links...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

great , thanx for the info. you are right about the sludge and the oil ports.found about half a cup of sludge and 1 oil port clogged {#1 cam lobe}. so even if i would have to replace the head gasket i still had to do it cause i think the cam is a lil' to rusty and pitted from so much condensationon the top end. but as of sunday night everything is ready to go back together except still lil' weary of the cam and rocker arms . thanx for the input . ohh and why is the cam deck design one of the weak links ?

The design allows for sludge to get trapped where it cant get out andit can lead to plugged oil passages up there...thats why I said weak link...design flaw might be a better term...

Interesting...when I took mine out it was because the #1 cam lobe plugged...

gotchya