Thread: 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief parts

Default 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief parts

I pulled the engine out of El Jefe and fixing to put in the ford 460 and c6 tranny. I was just on my way to remove the transfer case and relocated one foot back when i came across a 1976 Jeep Cherokee Chief in almost mint condition (for a 1976). it is the origional owner and wants only 1000 bucks! it runns smooth, shifts great, no smoke, no knocking, and cold air conditioning! My build might go for a complete turn. What can I use from this jeep for El Jefe? Did I mention it has only 60000 origional miles!? I have read a lot of stuff can be used but i need to justify spending the extra cash when i have already rebuilt the 460 and C6. Please convince me!!

Buy the Chief, ebay it and pocket the profit. Don't kill the poor thing.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndA View Post
    Buy the Chief, ebay it and pocket the profit. Don't kill the poor thing.
    I agree. There are very few things you can use and clean WT Cherokees are getting very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I agree. There are very few things you can use and clean WT Cherokees are getting very rare.
    Ditto that. Not much can be used on a 715. Clean it up, fix some minor (if it has any) problems and flip it on ebay.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

The best replacement seats from a Jeep, in my opinion, for the M715 are the Cherokee seats as you can get buckets, with the center seat even, and they both flip forward like the stock seats and they have much higher backs.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The best replacement seats from a Jeep, in my opinion, for the M715 are the Cherokee seats as you can get buckets, with the center seat even, and they both flip forward like the stock seats and they have much higher backs.
    You must be talking about the little Cherokees, not the earlier FSJ Cherokee. All the 2 door FSJ ones had low back seats. The only flip forward high back buckets were in a few special package J truck in the last year or so of production and are very hard to find (been looking for a set for years).

No, FSJ...took them out myself.

The stock seats end at the bottom of my should blades...to the point that I had times where I was sitting in the seat just right and hit a bump and got one nice painful shot through the bone.

The Cherokee seats I have are up to the top of my shoulder, not high back buckets in the modern term but much higher than stock and much more comfortable and liveable than the stock seats as far as support and long term use go.

I think I have a pic...

OK...here you can see the side shot:

View through the windshield:

And here, if you look through the rear window, you can just see the top of the passenger seat corner...no headrest on these but the shoulder area support is good!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    No, FSJ...took them out myself.

The stock seats end at the bottom of my should blades...to the point that I had times where I was sitting in the seat just right and hit a bump and got one nice painful shot through the bone.

The Cherokee seats I have are up to the top of my shoulder, not high back buckets in the modern term but much higher than stock and much more comfortable and liveable than the stock seats as far as support and long term use go.

I think I have a pic...

OK...here you can see the side shot:

View through the windshield:

And here, if you look through the rear window, you can just see the top of the passenger seat corner...no headrest on these but the shoulder area support is good!
    10-4 on the seats, those are stock FSJ low back seats and are indeed taller than the stock M715 seat. I went hog wild with mine and put high back Ford Explorer seats in mine complete with electric controls but I am still roughing it - did not hook up the seat heaters.

Well they call those "medium back", which I guess is accurate. There were highbacks out there, though. My grandmother had a new forest green '79 Golden Eagle with pretty much every option Jeep offered at the time including the leather and cloth tan interior with highback power buckets.

That was by far the nicest FSJ I've ever seen. Tilt, cruise, AC, power windows and locks and rear defog. AM-FM-CB, digital clock, factory brush guard, roof rack, eagle graphic with gold wheels and accents, 360-4bbl, Q-Trac and more. She stuck 32/10.50 Wranglers and full 2.5" duals on it. Was the truck that started me on my fascination with FSJ's.

I found that truck again in Terre Haute in the late 90's but didn't have the $1500 they wanted for it at the time. Probably scrapped by now, which is one reason I hate to see any nice Cherokee killed. I'm always hoping to find another like that one.

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...