Thread: Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses

Default Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses

Can these be bought new at NAPA, Autozone, Advanced AUto? Does anyone have a part number? I don'r care for those ribbed universal fit ones and I don't want NOS ones either.
    I would assume some off the same era J truck would work.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I know there are some options and someone will chime in momentarily, but I can say this:

DO avoid the pleated universal style hoses. They are fine for a quick fix, but just when you least expect it, they will let go, usually in the bottom of one of the pleats and unload the contents of your cooling system on the ground.

Ask me how I know.......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

This thread has the info:

NAPA or Equivalent EVERYTHING!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks!

I found a few other part numbers that worked. I can't remember for sure, but I *think* I looked a alternatives because they were out of stock on the others, not because they wouldn't work. At any rate, these absolutely work and are on my truck now. Been there for a bit over a year. The imageshack picture is somehow dead now and I do not have the picture on my laptop thanks to my post-FE hard drive crash. I had laid out the stock hoses beside the new NAPA replacements so you could see where I had to cut the new hoses to fit.

Anyway, alternatives are always good to have. Here's my original post from May 16, 2008:

Okay, I have a parade to run tomorrow morning and it's been pretty hot here the past day or two, plus there's the FE coming up, so I scrambled to get all the radiator hoses replaced in my M715.

First let me wonder aloud here what those engineers were smoking when they came up with that engine design. What a nutty setup.

Okay, that said, today at NAPA I picked up the hose brute4c mentioned and brought my other hoses in to find matches. Here's what we came up with:

Clockwise from upper left are the passenger side stubby elbow hose which I cut out from a 7266.

The next is the upper radiator hose. An 8484 did the job and only needed to be trimmed on one end (the short end).

For the lower radiator hose, we went with another 8484. He found another with a shape and length that matched better, but was a bigger diameter. So I went with the 8484.

Finally, that stupid other mini-stubby elbow running from the water pump to the front end of the intake manifold (I *think* that's where that went--somewhere near there) was replaced with a 7447. One end has a larger diameter and that is the end I trimmed for the proper length.

Regular heater hose (not pictured) handled the long run from the water pump to the intake manifold below the carburetor.

All the above needed some trimming, but they all fit just fine.

What a goofy, goofy design though....
    -- Tim Taylor

For the bypass hose (the short hose from the block to the water pump behind the fuel pump), the correct hose is a Gates 22276. This hose fits perfectly without any trimming.

This is the hose that I have had fail on 4 trucks. It's location makes it more difficult to replace and the heat from the block destroys the rubber faster than the other 2 hoses.

I have found that the quickest way to replace it is to remove the fuel pump first. Give you a lot more room for access. To put the new hose on I have found that lubing both ends with a little anti-freeze makes it slide on easier.