Thread: diesel trouble

Default diesel trouble

Hello,

I swapped a 6.2 into my 715 with a lot of help from the members here, I ran into a problem staring it once it was installed? I have new glow plugs installed and wired to a manual switch, fresh diesel in a 5 gallon can under the hood, electric fuel pump pulling from the fuel can feeding into the injector pump. I wired the pink solenoid wire up to 12 volts and get the click but I can not get the engine to fire off? I had this engine running fine on the shop floor before installation into the 715??

Seems to not be getting enough fuel to the injectors, just wondering if anyone here can shed some possible light on the situation? maybe I am missing something? I was told by a GM tech that the solenoinds in the IP can be bad and still sound like they are opperating? this will send limited to no fuel to the injectors this sounds like my problem but I have not pulled the top off the pump yet to see whats going on.

I pulled the glow plugs and spun the engine over with WOT to see if fuel is getting to the injector lines which were pulled off the injectors, limited to no fuel at the injectors, the engine only has 14k on it.

Thanks in advance for the ideas...

Follow the fuel line first. Make sure your electric lift pump is working, then make sure it is getting the fuel to the IP. If it gets to the IP, crack open a few of the injector lines at the injectors and crank the crap out of the engine. It takes a good bit of cranking to get the lines bled. You might not have a problem at all.

I was thinking air in the lines as well. Just a guess.

Same as above, but hook a extra vehicle up to the battery with jumper cables to keep from running the battery dead, and give the starter frequent breaks to avoid getting it hot and burning it up. Diesels can be REAL stubborn to start if the lines are full of air, IP has trouble building pressure when it's full of air, which could be why you don't seem to have the pressure you think you should.

Also, flow rate to each injector is low in relative terms, it's not going to spray like a pressure washer with the line cracked... doesn't have the volume. Once the air is out, and you tighten it back up, it can build pressure because of the small oriface on the injector tip. Think "putting your thumb over the garden hose."
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I removed the glowplugs during the above mentioned priming so the engine would turn over easier during cranking. It seemed to go faster and save the battery and starter.

Great tip Rollie! I'll be using that next time.

May want to read up on swelled glow plug ends first if you're new to diesels. Good idea to know what you're dealing with before you're dealing with it.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Default air makes things a pain

I would follow with rollies idea. The electric auxiliary lift pumps on the 6.2's is very helpful to have especially when putting a new filter in to bleed out the air.

On mu old idi diesels such as this one i would have a gatorade bottle and put in various locations along the fuel return lines and pull the rubber lines off to see if your getting air or fuel in them. Usually i pull off the rubber injection pump bleed off line at the top of the pump till i get solid fuel out of it, bleeds much faster this way.

Just a quick update, I got her running smooth, seems there was an air lock at the injector pump and she was pulling air from the return line some how.
    She spins over and starts right up, now on to the clutch linkage and exhaust.
    Thanks for all the help.....