Thread: 24v wipers

Default 24v wipers

Never one to rush, I've been modifying my M715 for the past 10 plus years. Wanting to switch to 24V wipers I happened onto the Gamma Goat wiper way back when as a good military alternative.

It's an American Bosch piece but has the problem of a 2" threaded shaft that required devising a way to mount the unit well away from the backside of the windshield frame. This idea went dead for about 10 years until I recently went searching for a second Goat wiper and happened onto a marine version of the motor that's almost an exact copy except it's marketed under a Dutch company name 'Vetus' and available with 2" or 1" shaft and is a two speed unit.

They are not cheap but mount up nicely with a 5/8" length, 5/8" ID nylon bushing from McMaster-Carr. The wiring was routed with flex tubing down the same path as the vacuum line to the dash-mounted switch. The stock wiper arm fits the motor spline and is self parking as shown. Plans are to paint to match the truck and probably acquire a second motor for the passenger side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

got a link?
    Price?

Several marine suppliers have them. I got mine from http://www.GO2MARINE.com. Part number for the Vetus 1" shaft motor is RW09S and it retails for $87.60 from these guys. The matching 2 speed switch is listed for $20.31. The nylon bearing sleeves, 7/8" OD, 5/8" ID, 5/8" length are part number 6389K8 from McMaster-Carr at $4.31 ea.

You have to drill one hole in the windshield frame for a machine bolt to anchor the right side bracket on the motor. You can see the silver bolt head to the left of the wiper arm in the windshield view. The windshield frame support bracket can be re-installed with no problem, I just hadn't done it when I took the pictures.

The price is a bit of a burn considering I bought a complete NOS Gamma Goat motor/wiper arm kit for $20.00 back in '98. The 2 inch shaft just makes it ungainly to install given it would have to be offset over 1.5" from the frame toward the driver.